Question about U of MN Duluth and Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pushkin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read in another thread that UMD has a deal allowing a certain number of Canadians to go there (along with residents of WI, ND, and other neighboring states.). I assume they must be from Manitoba or Ontario? Does anyone know if there's a corresponding deal allowing Minnesotans to apply to either of those provinces' medical schools? I know this question is obscure, but I thought I'd ask. I'd absolutely never heard of this before, and I want to apply to Canadian schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Granted, I realize this question is not everyone's cup of tea. In fact it's pretty bizarre. I'm still curious though.

Does anyone know?

I've got no clue but I'd assume they wouldn't, just because MN already has two med schools...but maybe...if you find anything out can you let me know? I think it'd be bad ass to go to school in Canada, and I'm a MN girl...

Liz

Members don't see this ad :)
If I somehow manage to find out, I will certainly post it here! I see what you mean about us having 2 state med schools already, but then Manitoba has one too, and Ontario has a ton. So if we're letting their students in, maybe it goes both ways...

Only residents of MN, a few counties in WI, and Manitoba are considered for admission at UMN-D. I'll be a first year this fall, and I'm pretty sure that there is only one Canadian in the class of around 50 (we already had an orientation session). I have no idea about agreements with Canadian med schools, but I have heard that it's very difficult for an American to get into a Canadian medical school without really strong ties.

I have heard that it's very difficult for an American to get into a Canadian medical school without really strong ties.

Yep, and that's why I'm curious about this potential loophole. Plus, it doesn't seem fair that MN would let in Manitoba students, but not vice versa.