Question about undergrad "academic forgiveness"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willwigg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad college has an academic forgiveness policy, and to put a long story short, before I realized that medical schools don't participate, I used that policy to improve my GPA. Right out of high school I had two semesters of F's and quit going to school for a few years. I came back, made very good grades and maintained a good GPA from that point forward. The college "forgave" those grades and didn't count them toward my GPA. On my official transcript, each of those courses lists the course name and number and shows an F for the grade, but it has zero for the number of credit hours attended, zero for credit hours completed, and zero for the number of quality points. In effect, despite it showing an F as the grade, it has no effect on my GPA. According to the AACOMAS instructions, everything on the application should exactly match the official transcript.

I am wondering whether or not I should put in the number of credit hours that the course originally was instead of zero, or if I should just leave it at zero per my official transcript. Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not what the college does that matters, it's what AACOMAS does.

The Fs will count. BUT, if you retook them for a higher grade, then only the higher grade will count.

I don't think I worded that exactly how I meant it. I realized that AACOMAS doesn't care about an individual institution's policies. However, when you look at my official transcript, it shows the course name, the letter grade, attempted credit hours, and quality points. It shows that the grade was an F, but it shows the attempted credit hours as zero and the quality points as zero. If I input this information exactly as it appears on my transcript, then my GPA will be unaffected by those courses, hence my question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you mark the repeat courses as 0.00 credits in the AACOMAS application anyway?

Don't you mark the repeat courses as 0.00 credits in the AACOMAS application anyway?

Yes, that is the method by which only the highest scoring grade counts toward your GPA. Since the credit hours and quality points are both zero, it has no effect on your GPA. I did retake some courses, but not all. What I was asking refers to the courses I didn't retake.

Yes, that is the method by which only the highest scoring grade counts toward your GPA. Since the credit hours and quality points are both zero, it has no effect on your GPA. I did retake some courses, but not all. What I was asking refers to the courses I didn't retake.

You will need to call the AACOMAS and find out how they deal with this situation. In general, without the credits, they cannot give a weighted GPA. However, we don't know how they will handle this situation (maybe call your school to find out). So it best you know what will happen by calling AACOMAS.