Question about undergrad degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skomes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I just realized a couple of months ago that med was what I wanted. Here's my question. My university offers a general 3 year science degree, as well as the regular 4 year degree. I am anxious to make up time, I already spend 2 years doing nothing special, but with the courses I have already taken I could finish the 3 year degree in just two years. Now, how many schools (I am Canadian but will be trying to apply to schools here and in the US) SPECIFICALLY require 120 credit hours towards a science degree? Of the Canadian ones I've checked so far, McGill does. I'd much rather not waste time. I'm thinking of going for the 3 year degree and if nothing else going caribbean.

Members don't see this ad.

skomes said:
Ok, so I just realized a couple of months ago that med was what I wanted. Here's my question. My university offers a general 3 year science degree, as well as the regular 4 year degree. I am anxious to make up time, I already spend 2 years doing nothing special, but with the courses I have already taken I could finish the 3 year degree in just two years. Now, how many schools (I am Canadian but will be trying to apply to schools here and in the US) SPECIFICALLY require 120 credit hours towards a science degree? Of the Canadian ones I've checked so far, McGill does. I'd much rather not waste time. I'm thinking of going for the 3 year degree and if nothing else going caribbean.

None. Your only prereq's are:

1 yr General Bio
1 yr Gen Chem.
1 yr. O Chem
1 yr. Physics
and usually 1 yr college math.

that's like ~40 units. I'm assuming the 2 yrs you've already done include some humanities classes. Obviously you won't want to apply with only 40 units total...but those are all it takes as far as science is concerned. You don't even need to make science your major if you don't want to.

+1, it doesn't really matter what you major in or what your undergrad degree is, so long as you complete your degree and complete all necessary pre-reqs. Good luck!

Great, thanks guys. I've already planned out my pre-reqs in order to write the MCAT next year.