Dr.Okonkwo

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Status
Hello you guys, I am a freshman in high school that is interested in Medicine, I am a Nigerian-American Male, but I wanted to ask if it would hurt me if I went to my state school for pre-med, In my case the University of Georgia and did well high gpa and such then applied to the top medical programs. I am looking at this route because it would save money and my older sister is also interested in Medicine and I don't want to have my parents to be under to much of a financial burden. Any answers would be appreciated.

Thank You

tesla123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Status
Dr.Okonkwo said:
Hello you guys, I am a freshman in high school that is interested in Medicine, I am a Nigerian-American Male, but I wanted to ask if it would hurt me if I went to my state school for pre-med, In my case the University of Georgia and did well high gpa and such then applied to the top medical programs. I am looking at this route because it would save money and my older sister is also interested in Medicine and I don't want to have my parents to be under to much of a financial burden. Any answers would be appreciated.

Thank You
There are 2 people from the University of Georgia in Yale's first year class. Good luck!

R

Revolution #9

You'll be absolutely fine with UG. Fine institution, actually. It might not give you the Ivy-league advantage that some people beleive in, but really, so what? Do well, and you can get in anywhere.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Status
Medical Student
look into financial aid for disadvantaged applicants, you shouldnt have to compromise on your education if you are qualified but lack financial backing. theres a reason ivy league schools are designated as such, and you get what you pay for. 1400 SAT and top 10% rank will get you anywhere in the country with money showering on you, no kidding.

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Absolutely off topic... but Dr. Okonkwo... Things Fall Apart ...Chinua Achebe?

PTPoeny

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Trust me, no, a 1520, top 5% will not get you money all that many places. There are far more schools with need based financial aid these days than merit based.

Crake

I drive a Dodge Stratus!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
RI
Status
Pre-Medical
haha, I was thinking the same thing about Achebe. 0 posts and then "I'm a nigerian-american wondering if I can get into a good school." This sounds like someone trolling for an AA discussion to me. . . Besides, what high school kid reads Things Fall Apart?

OP
D

Dr.Okonkwo

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Status
I am not what you would consider disadvantage, rather I am upper middle class but college and med school will put a dent in anyones wallet, and I just wanted to save money. And I have read things fall apart, and in reality my last name really is Okonkwo. Strange huh,. My dad recommended the book to me. He read it as a kid about my age. Don't underestimate my intellectual ability :mad: Jk :laugh:

TwoLegacies

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
San Diego
Status
Crake said:
haha, I was thinking the same thing about Achebe. 0 posts and then "I'm a nigerian-american wondering if I can get into a good school." This sounds like someone trolling for an AA discussion to me. . . Besides, what high school kid reads Things Fall Apart?
we read it in high school...

Mr. O-- yeah, i agree with the above posters saying that you will be fine coming from your state school. That said, if you WANT to go to a private university, and you have the money to apply, you might as well apply and see what kind of financial aid you can get. You never know!

Ross434

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pharmacy Student
mdpdgirl said:
Trust me, no, a 1520, top 5% will not get you money all that many places. There are far more schools with need based financial aid these days than merit based.
Dude, he's black.

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Boston
Status
Going to state school will not significantly affect your chances of getting into med school. As someone said above, just do extremely well in your college courses and med scool pre-reqs and you should be able to get into some absolutely fantastic med schools. I just wanted to add, seriously consider what Shredder was saying and apply to some private schools just to see what kind of scholarships/financial aid they could offer. Even if you don't qualify for financial aid because your parents make good money, you may still qualify for a lot of great scholarships. One of my friends whose parents are very wealthy went to a prestigious private school for free on a merit based scholarship. Definitely definitely look into it.

nick661806

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
Status
Being black will get you alot of money from many places if you go looking for it or contact that schools cultural center.

SaginawPremed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
Saginaw, MI
Status
Crake said:
I definitely read that in 9th grade. I remember the bulk of it was completed sitting with my back to the fence of the tennis courts during a match, because that day I was downgraded from 4 doubles to "exhibition", so I sulked into my book.

supersnuffles

Yarr!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2004
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Crake said:
ditto. read it junior year in high school. really really sad. depressing really. :(

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
Dr.Okonkwo said:

Thank You
As a high school freshman, you are far too young to decide on your career path. It is important to realize that while medicine is a decent, respectable, generally well-paying field, the best days of medicine are long-gone.

In fact, there are many negatives to medical practice: very long training period, lots of debt, declining reimbursements, malpractice crisis, loss of physician autonomy, burden of HMOs and red tape, ever-dwindling respect from your patients.

I would strongly encourage you to consider a profession other than medicine. Engineering is a good field; of course there are many others. Go to a good college, and give your decision some time. UG is a good choice, but as others have mentioned, your minority status + good grades will probably help you get some scholarship money at good private schools.

good luck.

Blackstars

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2003
PLUTO
Visit site
Status
doc05 said:
As a high school freshman, you are far too young to decide on your career path. It is important to realize that while medicine is a decent, respectable, generally well-paying field, the best days of medicine are long-gone.

In fact, there are many negatives to medical practice: very long training period, lots of debt, declining reimbursements, malpractice crisis, loss of physician autonomy, burden of HMOs and red tape, ever-dwindling respect from your patients.

I would strongly encourage you to consider a profession other than medicine. Engineering is a good field; of course there are many others. Go to a good college, and give your decision some time. UG is a good choice, but as others have mentioned, your minority status + good grades will probably help you get some scholarship money at good private schools.

good luck.

Ditto