All Branch Topic (ABT) Question about USUHS, oncology, and the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

straightouttatheburgh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only in high school, but thinking ahead a bit. I've been reading about this and it's interesting so I wanted to try to clear the air for myself.

If I attend USUHS, I get paid to attend med school. I then make a 7 year commitment to the military. Does that commitment essentially serve as my residency and fellowship?

Also, is USUHS a good school for oncology?

New to all this, so please bear with me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does that commitment essentially serve as my residency and fellowship?

Nope. Residency/fellowship don't count towards payback.

is USUHS a good school for oncology?

USUHS is a good school for a foundation in to anything. Just like most medical schools. Focus on making it in to medical school and don't tunnel vision the rest of your life at this point.

It's seven years outside of a training program. That would mean at least 13 years active duty, assuming in-service training, for an oncologist. Historically, I would say that USUHS is smart choice for someone looking to retire from the military, but not a great idea otherwise. However, changes in the retirement system, which I haven't totally kept up with, may change the calculus.

Medical schools, USUHS or otherwise, aren't really in the business of being "good" for any specific specialty or subspecialty. Sure, some departments are stronger than otherwise, and that can trickle down to the medical students' experiences, but that is very far down the list of reasons to choose a school. Scholastically, what you need to know about USUHS is that it's a solid allopathic school.

All of this can change between now and when you potentially matriculate to medical school.