SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Question about volunteering?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MedQuest, Aug 25, 2002.

1. MedQuest

MedQuest Da Truth 7+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am going to start grad school this fall and i am also shadowing/assisting a doctor 3 times a week. I am planning to volunteer on the weekends but do not know where. Any Suggestions? How does becoming a big brother sound? Or should i do medically related stuff. Thanks
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jot

you'll probably be a lot more useful as a big brother - and it maybe a lot more rewarding. doing something that actually has the possiblity of affecting change always seems a bit more worthwhile.
  4. MedQuest

MedQuest Da Truth 7+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    don't adcoms prefer to see medically related volunteering over big brother?
  5. Street Philosopher

Street Philosopher freebird 10+ Year Member

Aug 10, 2000
    ann arbor
    try the human resources dept at the hospital. they might be able to get you some paid positions, but most are full time or night hours.

try websites like or they have listing for volunteer positions in your area, and you can contact them and set up something.
  6. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27 10+ Year Member

I started a master's program last fall, and faced a similar situation. I continued a medical volunteer position and a non-medical one - I did both for >3 years in college. I must say, I've learned more from the non-medical one lately, and it's the basis of many of my secondary essays.
  7. Smurfette

Smurfette Antagonized by Azrael Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Do what you really want to do. Don't do medical volunteering simply because you think you have something different and something more rewarding for you. Sounds like you're getting a lot of medical exposure anyway...being a BB is a wonderful idea!

reasons why being a big brother looks good to adcoms? 1. it makes you more unique...they like people who stand out and do things that are different 2. it shows you have other interests and priorities 3. it gives you something to talk about in your interview 4. it implies a higher level of commitment (i.e. volunteering at a hospital or clinic a few times at your leisure versus having a kid out there whom you regularly make time for). I could go on....
  8. Keith

Keith Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2001
    East Bay, California
    I was a big brother for 2 1/2 years. I did it before I developed an interest in medicine. I had no medically related volunteer time and was still accepted to several schools. (my orientation begins next Tuesday)
    I did have community volunteer experiences, and Big Brothers/Sisters was a great experience. ADCOMs don't want cloned pre-meds. Don't do something to impress them, do it because you are interested in a particular program and want to help.
    One of the biggest motivations for them asking about medical volunteer time is to establish if you have any idea what you are trying to get into. If you already have some exposure, you don't have to do more medical volunteering. (i just left a career in which i received a lot of exposure to medicine) It wasn't even a real issue in my interviews.
  9. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent 7+ Year Member

Jun 13, 2002
    good question.... ;)
    i volunteer for a bunch of orgs covering the range from tutoring to playing with kids in hospitals.....the most interesting and fun one so far: the make-a-wish foundation....definitely an amazing experience! you should check it's medically related (though i trained before i decided i wanted to go into medicine) and it's very rewarding, though it can be very sad at times, too.
  10. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Just to let you know. I once tried volunteering for a domestic violence hotline. I have to tell you, it was an awesome experience! Maybe it's not medicall related (i've done a ton of medicall related stuff, so in my case, i don't think adcoms would really care), but it probably taught me a ton more then i ever got volunteering at an ER. ... Why? mostly, it was communication with DV victims.

I agree, go look at voluteer match, or something like that. If nothing else, it will show you what is out there. you probably may even find something like big brother, but also medically related (some places I've seen being like a big sibling for chronically ill kids). Don't be afraid to try something new, also, even if you know you'd love being a big sibling.

but, if you finally go around, and try other stuff, and feel they aren't your thing. do NOT stick with something, just because you think medschools want you to do it.

anyway, most of all. Here's a quick an easy test to tell if something will be worthwhile (if you' re not sure by the description): if they require training(not a TON, make just a few sessions), that is a huge plus. That means you'll be given responsibility. That usually means very good. Also, don't be shy to ask what other volunteers thought of the program.
  11. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2001
    oh yeah, i forgot, also look on webpages of universities of medical schools for extra activities that their students do. often they have listings. oh... and if it's acitivities that students do as a group, they are often more fun. and, doing extra activities with medical students would also be a good way to learn about medschool life through friends you make.