Question about what to read for Oral Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfd986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could clarify some things. I have understood that, to be board-certified, you have to take some sort of oral board exam. I'm currently in my surgery rotation, but dreaming of family medicine, can't wait to get into a residency for FM (but on the other hand can wait because I don't know anything!!). I was doing these questions that our surgery preceptor handed us which are supposed to be surgery boards questions (Step 3) and I've found that the answer to each of these questions lies in a journal. As in, when you read a question, the only way to answer it accurately is by going online, finding a journal article related to that, and reading it until you get the info you want. I don't want to be doing that when my family boards rolls around! I want to start reading now, little by little whenever I can fit it in. Or at least when the time comes I want to be able to know what to read. What's the one journal that all the FMs get ordered to their door every week or month ? For IMs I've understood it to be the NEJM, for FMs it's .... ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 3 is not fm boards or surgery boards. Everyone takes the same step 3.

Some other specialties do have oral boards, but not fm, as noted above. We have computerized mcq questions for hours and hours.

I think the journal you are thinking of (given that you are med student) is probably American Family Practice, which you can get for free. The other major journal is Annals of Family Medicine. But realize that a lot of FM residents and attendings also read NEJM, JAMA, Pediatrics, among others. AFP is a great FREE journal for students because its focus is to typical problems/diagnoses in primary care, and the articles cover the nuts and bolts of things we are learning every day. NEJM and JAMA are better for both the weird and the new.

there are no oral boards in family medicine. you take step I, II, and III. then do residency. finish residency and take the family medicine boards. (hint--keep up with you inservice family medicine exams during residency because those same questions will be on the family medicine specialty boards). that's it. AAFP is excellent and the questions are typical of board and inservice exam questions.