Question about Work/Activities section on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tobi222

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I HAVE to pick 3 experiences that were most meaningful or are they just saying 3 is the maximum that I can choose to be most meaningful?

I have 9 work/activities and out of all of them, only 1 was really really meaningful to me. I'm not sure how meaningful I can describe the others I've done without sound fake?

Also, I did research with a professor at my college. We never really finished it (i.e. write a paper or fully analyze data), only obtaining data from the research and slightly analyze it. Both him and I were busy with the school year and now I have graduated. I added it into my work/activities and made sure to mention in the description that it wasn't finished and that I'll hope to finish the research with him during my gap year. Is that okay?
Also would it be okay to put an end date even though I intend to finish it during my gap year?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Do I HAVE to pick 3 experiences that were most meaningful or are they just saying 3 is the maximum that I can choose to be most meaningful?

I have 9 work/activities and out of all of them, only 1 was really really meaningful to me. I'm not sure how meaningful I can describe the others I've done without sound fake?

2) Also, I did research with a professor at my college. We never really finished it (i.e. write a paper or fully analyze data), only obtaining data from the research and slightly analyze it. Both him and I were busy with the school year and now I have graduated. I added it into my work/activities and made sure to mention in the description that it wasn't finished and that I'll hope to finish the research with him during my gap year. Is that okay?

3) Also would it be okay to put an end date even though I intend to finish it during my gap year?
1) You are required to designate only one activity to be Most Meaningful. You may pick no more that three in total, but have no obligation to select a #2 or a #3.

2) Projects may take years to complete. You don't have to state that the research is not yet complete, but doing so is OK, as you've outlined.

3) If your schedule is not yet known, it's best to put the End Date when you graduated. You can add to the narrative that you hope to return during your gap year to complete the project, but that your plans are uncertain. Or say nothing at all, but just mention it in future update letters (where allowed) if you do return.

Reactions: 1 user
1) You are required to designate only one activity to be Most Meaningful. You may pick no more that three in total, but have no obligation to select a #2 or a #3.

2) Projects may take years to complete. You don't have to state that the research is not yet complete, but doing so is OK, as you've outlined.

3) If your schedule is not yet known, it's best to put the End Date when you graduated. You can add to the narrative that you hope to return during your gap year to complete the project, but that your plans are uncertain. Or say nothing at all, but just mention it in future update letters (where allowed) if you do return.

Will do! Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user