Question about work/activities section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jean2117

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I volunteer at a place biweekly for four hours at a time, should I enter two hours in the hours/week column or enter in four hours/week and just explain in my description that I normally volunteer biweekly. I have, however, during certain months been able to volunteer weekly. Thanks ahead of time for everyone's help.

Members don't see this ad.

What I did for all my volunteering and research is calculate approximately how many total hours I invested, and divided it by how many weeks I spent.

For example, I worked full-time in a lab in the summer, but only a couple hours a week during the school year. Over the two years I spent in the lab, it averaged to be around 5 hours a week, so I put that down, and wrote one concise sentence explaining it. It worked out fine.

airflare said:
What I did for all my volunteering and research is calculate approximately how many total hours I invested, and divided it by how many weeks I spent.

For example, I worked full-time in a lab in the summer, but only a couple hours a week during the school year. Over the two years I spent in the lab, it averaged to be around 5 hours a week, so I put that down, and wrote one concise sentence explaining it. It worked out fine.

Thanks that helps, but the only problem is that I do not know exactly how many hours I have been volunteering in some cases. For example, I volunteer in the ER and like I said I try to go every two weeks, but there were some months that I did not make it in but maybe once. I guess I should have probably kept track of all my hours!

If you volunteered at a hospital, did you use a sign-in sheet to track hours? If so, you could take a look at your records. If there are no records, just approximate the best you can. What other choice do you have? I highly doubt any school is going to contact your supervisor and double check the hours you put in (as long as you entered a reasonable amount). And even if they did, since there are no records and what you put down is a good approximation, your supervisor would likely support whatever you claimed.