1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Question about work/activities section

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jean2117, Aug 4, 2006.

1. jean2117

jean2117 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If I volunteer at a place biweekly for four hours at a time, should I enter two hours in the hours/week column or enter in four hours/week and just explain in my description that I normally volunteer biweekly. I have, however, during certain months been able to volunteer weekly. Thanks ahead of time for everyone's help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. airflare

airflare Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What I did for all my volunteering and research is calculate approximately how many total hours I invested, and divided it by how many weeks I spent.

For example, I worked full-time in a lab in the summer, but only a couple hours a week during the school year. Over the two years I spent in the lab, it averaged to be around 5 hours a week, so I put that down, and wrote one concise sentence explaining it. It worked out fine.

4. jean2117

jean2117 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks that helps, but the only problem is that I do not know exactly how many hours I have been volunteering in some cases. For example, I volunteer in the ER and like I said I try to go every two weeks, but there were some months that I did not make it in but maybe once. I guess I should have probably kept track of all my hours!

5. airflare

airflare Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you volunteered at a hospital, did you use a sign-in sheet to track hours? If so, you could take a look at your records. If there are no records, just approximate the best you can. What other choice do you have? I highly doubt any school is going to contact your supervisor and double check the hours you put in (as long as you entered a reasonable amount). And even if they did, since there are no records and what you put down is a good approximation, your supervisor would likely support whatever you claimed.