question about writing my personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Martins

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to medical school this year, but would like to defer (if I get accepted) for one year so that I can go to Peru and build up my Spanish and work in a hospital/clinic. This is something I really want to do before getting started with medical school.

I'm wondering if it's appropriate to mention this in my personal statement. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Doc Martins said:
I am applying to medical school this year, but would like to defer (if I get accepted) for one year so that I can go to Peru and build up my Spanish and work in a hospital/clinic. This is something I really want to do before getting started with medical school.

I'm wondering if it's appropriate to mention this in my personal statement. Any suggestions?

i wouldn't. some schools don't like the idea of deferals until after you've already been accepted.

I would suggest if you want to write about it then you say you intend to do it between your MSI and MSII school years during the summer. Don't write in your statement that you want to defer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. I would mention that you would like to do that though (without mentioning the defferal). If you go to a school that offers international elective rotations, which many do, you can use this to your advantage on why you want to go to that school. Also, it brings up an interesting part of yourself and schools want to hear about that.

Note, you also have the whole summer between 1st and 2nd year to do whatever you want, so perhaps you could do it then. You'd know a lot more medically speaking than if you went before attending 1st year.

Thanks for your advice everyone, I will definitely follow it. :)

have you thought about applying to medical schools after you go to peru? all that clinical experience abroad may boost your application and get you to a better school.