1classylady

10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I am interested in attending Xavier College of Pharmacy, but I have a question about some of the prerequisites. Xavier has listed MCB 2010 Microbiology as a requirement, but I have never taken this course. However, I do have a BS in Biology from UF, so I have taken MCB 3020 Microbiology. Would I still have to take MCB 2010 even if I took basically the same class, but at a higher level? Also, the school that I attended only offered regular Ethics not Bio or Medical-Ethics, so will that course be o.k. to fulfill that requirement?

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
I am interested in attending Xavier College of Pharmacy, but I have a question about some of the prerequisites. Xavier has listed MCB 2010 Microbiology as a requirement, but I have never taken this course. However, I do have a BS in Biology from UF, so I have taken MCB 3020 Microbiology. Would I still have to take MCB 2010 even if I took basically the same class, but at a higher level? Also, the school that I attended only offered regular Ethics not Bio or Medical-Ethics, so will that course be o.k. to fulfill that requirement?
SDN isn't Xavier, we don't know. Nobody knows what MCB 2010 is or what MCB 3040 is, all schools are different. Pick up the phone, call anybody at Xavier admissions, and ask. Problem solved.

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
It's possible that someone here on SDN goes to Xavier, though, and in which case they'd be in a good position to help.

OP

1classylady

10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
SDN isn't Xavier, we don't know. Nobody knows what MCB 2010 is or what MCB 3040 is, all schools are different. Pick up the phone, call anybody at Xavier admissions, and ask. Problem solved.
I thought this forum was for students who had questions about the school they wanted to attend. That's why I asked the question. I thought someone might have had a similar question or concern about Xavier that's why I posted the question here. IF YOU DID NOT WANT TO ANSWER MY QUESTION THEN DO NOT REPLY TO IT! This is what this forum is about asking questions. You can say your little ASININE remark pretty much about every thread on this forum. And for your info I have already e-mailed Xavier about this, they just haven't replied back yet. I plan on giving them a call in a few days if they have not responded by then. I just thought this may be a quicker response to my question.

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
I thought this forum was for students who had questions about the school they wanted to attend. That's why I asked the question. I thought someone might have had a similar question or concern about Xavier that's why I posted the question here. IF YOU DID NOT WANT TO ANSWER MY QUESTION THEN DO NOT REPLY TO IT! This is what this forum is about asking questions. You can say your little ASININE remark pretty much about every thread on this forum. And for your info I have already e-mailed Xavier about this, they just haven't replied back yet. I plan on giving them a call in a few days if they have not responded by then. I just thought this may be a quicker response to my question.
You act as if we know what MCB 3020 is at your undergrad.

Haha, call Xavier admissions. +5 for using the word asinine though.

-100 for being a b****

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
He's been drinking, Classy, don't let it bother you. He's normally a pretty cool dude.

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
He speaks the truth, I have been, and I'm lovin' it. But really, call the admissions office. Because afterall, who's going to know better than they?

OP

1classylady

10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
He's been drinking, Classy, don't let it bother you. He's normally a pretty cool dude.
I figured as much. But just to be clear MCB 3020 is a Microbiology class. It had a lab, and we discussed gram staining, viruses, etc. I originally went to a community college that offered MCB 2010 Microbiogy, but I never took it because I had to take MCB 3020 Microbiology at UF. So, there really wasn't a need to take it. It sounds like the same material is taught, but at a higher level. If I do have to take it, it sounds like to me it would be a step down.

desmoulins45179

Waiting for the TARDIS
Apr 30, 2009
Iowa City, IA
Status
Pharmacy Student
oops posted in the wrong thread:laugh:

tahi193

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I had a similar problem with another school. They require Intro Medical Microbiology taught by medical school faculty and I was hoping to take the Microbiology from the Bio department. I asked the school and they specifically want the medical one.

Your situation sounds a little different since it seems they're both just regular Micro but one is a higher level course. Not sure what is up with people on this forum being unnecessarily harsh but I agree, the quickest way to find out is to call the school or drop them an email. Good luck.

tootoo30

Account Closed!
10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
No you don't have to take it again, they accepted my Microbiology from another school too. Check out their website because they have changed the admission requirements and they don't accept classes older than five years old. Also regular ethics class will not do, it has to be either Bioethics, Medical Ethics or Health Ethics. If you need a school in New Orleans that has the class besides Xavier let me know. The community college has it at a much cheaper price.

HTH