Question about your AMCAS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by qweewq11, Oct 6, 2002.

1. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

In the post-secondary experiences section, when listing experiences, were your descriptions only factual? My descriptions were resume-like (what my duties were), but a friend of mine was telling me that his were more flowery and descriptive (eg, he might be describing his hospital volunteer experience, but then talk about how it made him feel).

What were most peoples' like?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Mine was factual. What I did and how long I did it. For example:

Red Cross Blood Drive Chairman (Reed College) - 1989-1993. Four drives per year.

4. New York

New York Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

mine was factual as well.
    I simply wrote about what I did and my responsibilities..

5. saiyagirl

saiyagirl Guest

i literally copied from my resume.

6. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

Yeup, I used resume language too

7. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

i used descriptions. you can only do so much in 510 characters though :p

8. lalalala

7+ Year Member

Hi everyone,

I am a new poster here. I won't be starting the application process till next April, but I was curious about the AMCAS part of the application that deals w/ activities/work/research etc. Do you list everything in one list? or do you separate them? I'm just asking b/c my gpa wasn't too hot my first year, but the next few years i really made a change and brought it up, but i was really only involved in a few activities cuz of that, but was working at the hospital affiliated w/ my school, and also involved in research over the summer, and clinical research in health policy w/ the UN. but in terms of my activities i just did what i loved which was basically 2-3 things, poetry writing for magazines on campus, volunteering, and being an ambassador for the admissions office. i go to an extremely competitive school (ivy) where everyone is running around w/ 4.0s and 35+ mcat's and 10 zillion activities...

sorry for the long message i guess my point is can my research/work experiences be listed w/ my extracurrics b/c if not, i guess that part of my apps will look kinda sparse... do u think they will understand that i had to tone my EC activity down in order to concentrate on bringing up my gpa

ok thank you for any responses to this... i really am glad i found this forum... LOL, i will be receiving my scores for august 2002 mcat in a few weeks (didnt check them online) so i will be back to either share in others joy, or misery, either way!!! :)