Question about $$$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that for the purposes of school-based financial aid, some schools require parental income to be reported on the FAFSA, although this information is not required for federal funds. I was just wondering if schools that adopt this policy (Temple for ex) also require a student to report parental income for school based aid if that student is married?

Does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

NubianPrincess said:
I know that for the purposes of school-based financial aid, some schools require parental income to be reported on the FAFSA, although this information is not required for federal funds. I was just wondering if schools that adopt this policy (Temple for ex) also require a student to report parental income for school based aid if that student is married?

Does anyone know?

As if you are gonna get married any time soon.
:D

:: flexes ::

So, what's going on Nubes? :D

Yup...unfortunately they dont care if you are married, have kids, are over 24 (independent). They want your parents income. Actually a lot of med schools are that way. And I think if you are married they make you include both your parents and your spouses income. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
NubianPrincess said:

Does anyone know?
I've heard of 40 year old post-bacs having to hand in parental tax returns. Seriously. It's stupid. I also think that it's totally unreasonable to expect parental income to have any relevance to a married person, but unfortunately I don't think all schools agree.

DeterminedMD said:
Yup...unfortunately they dont care if you are married, have kids, are over 24 (independent). They want your parents income. Actually a lot of med schools are that way. And I think if you are married they make you include both your parents and your spouses income. :mad:
:eek: So much for my wedding! Thanks for the replies :D

Make sure to ask your school as well. I was told by a couple of schools that if you are independent (married or 24) then the parental information is optional and even if listed will only affect the award of need-based scholarships, not federal aid (Stafford loan eligibility). Check with the school to make sure... Actually, I think anyone in grad school is considered independent...

Being married does classify you as an indepentant as well as military service. I can think of no valid reason for an indepentant student to be forced to disclose his parents financial records. They are in no way responsible for any debts incurred by their child once they reach adulthood. You would have to disclose your spouse's earnings, though, if married.

I know of many schools where it doesn't matter if you are married, 35, whatever. They still count your parental income, unless you go to a very nice med school. And then if you get married, they count your spouse's as well -- it's a pretty bad deal. :thumbdown:

Fermata said:
I knew it. :D

The connection between marriage and money for women is an interesting one. :D

Indeed.
:laugh: :laugh:

Fermata said:
I knew it. :D

The connection between marriage and money for women is an interesting one. :D
:p

It is totally bull**** and the schools must know it, that is all I gots to say.

ElKapitan said:
It is totally bull**** and the schools must know it, that is all I gots to say.

I concur.