Question Biology(Cell respiration) I know this is so stupid question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesolic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having confused with difference between ATP and Glucose ( or NaDH , FADH things..)

What does NaDH and FADH job ? and what is the relationship between them and ATP ?

so, ATP is the the actual usable energy for activating everything in our body right ?

and Glucose, NaDH, FADH is the factory ? that produce ATP ?

How does the ADP become ATP though ? where/how does ADP get another phosphate group from ?

can you guys add more explaination about this ?

Members don't see this ad.

1. NADH and FADH2 are electron carriers. They transfer the electrons into oxphos to make ATP.

2. Yes, you can think of ATP as the energy "currency". You can break down glucose to make ATP, through glycolysis, oxphos, lactic fermentation.

3. Glucose is starting product. I guess NADH and FADH2 can be workers in your factory analogy.

4. Add 1 Pi to ADP to make ATP. Reaction is catalyzed by ATP synthase. Pi are floating around.

These are the basics. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Some other things to help this make sense are:

The electrons carried by NADH can be used by the electron transport chain to make 3 ATP.
The electrons carried by FADH2 can be used by the electron transport chain to yield 2 ATP.

You can think of the electron transport system like water behind a dam. The system creates a gradient so that there can be "flow" that powers ATP synthase to create ATP.

You can think of the electron transport system like water behind a dam. The system creates a gradient so that there can be "flow" that powers ATP synthase to create ATP.

sounds like cliffs ;)

*which I do suggest to the original poster - purchase/read cliffs ap biology

I am having confused with difference between ATP and Glucose ( or NaDH , FADH things..)

What does NaDH and FADH job ? and what is the relationship between them and ATP ?

so, ATP is the the actual usable energy for activating everything in our body right ?

and Glucose, NaDH, FADH is the factory ? that produce ATP ?

How does the ADP become ATP though ? where/how does ADP get another phosphate group from ?

can you guys add more explaination about this ?

NADH is the electron carrier for oxidative phos enough to produce 3 ATP
FADH is the electron carrier for oxidative phos enough to produce 2 ATP

ATP is the usable energy our body uses (this has 3 phosphate heads - Adenine TRIphosphate).
Once ATP is used -> ADP (adenine diphosphate)

Substrate level phosphorylation is the transfer of a phosphate to an ADP to produce -> ATP
(ADP + phosphate = ATP)

I would definitely recommend restudying the cell resp. textbooks for this.
hope this helps.