Question: Calculus Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imxpandanese

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm aware that many medical schools require or recommend around a year of calculus. Recently, I signed up for a course at my college called Life Science 30A (course title: Math for Life Scientists). The course is interdisciplinary and teaches single and multivariable calculus using examples that include biology/ecology concepts.

I'm concerned that since the course is listed under the Life Sciences Department of my school (since it is teaching math for life science students), medical schools won't be able to recognize the course as a calculus course. My question is would the course titled Life Sciences 30A fulfill my one year of calculus requirement for medical schools despite not being listed under the Math Department?

I have no idea how medical schools confirm that their calculus course requirements are met since so many colleges have funky names/abbreviations for their courses. :p

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess emphatically no. A class that offers to teach single and multivariate in one shot not to to mention using biology and ecology sounds like a straight joke. Most med schools don't require calc, but if one you're applying to does, my guess is this class doesn't cut the mustard. You're gonna want "calculus I" as your first semester of calc or at the very least "brief survey of calc I"

Hi,

I'm aware that many medical schools require or recommend around a year of calculus. Recently, I signed up for a course at my college called Life Science 30A (course title: Math for Life Scientists). The course is interdisciplinary and teaches single and multivariable calculus using examples that include biology/ecology concepts.

I'm concerned that since the course is listed under the Life Sciences Department of my school (since it is teaching math for life science students), medical schools won't be able to recognize the course as a calculus course. My question is would the course titled Life Sciences 30A fulfill my one year of calculus requirement for medical schools despite not being listed under the Math Department?

I have no idea how medical schools confirm that their calculus course requirements are met since so many colleges have funky names/abbreviations for their courses. :p

Predator-prey and competition models will be feared and loathed by a vast majority of premeds because they haven't taken linear algebra or differential equations. Those models are the essence of mathematical ecology.

The point I'm making with that above statement is mathematical biology isn't exactly "fun" for premeds, because most of them hate math. Same applies for biophysics and neuroscience (computational). Don't take that life science math course. You probably will despise it and do badly

Just take a standard calculus sequence and be done with it. If you're good at math, then feel free to take the life science math course.