Question-- cheaper to go to out of state or private school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoshuaDannon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately there are no in-state PT programs in my state-- only private. I haven't looked at tuition costs too much, but it seems like out of state tuition (at a place like university of Washington) will be about equal to going to most private schools. Is this the case?

I've noticed several people say "oh, don't go to private schools-- they are so expensive!" Well, out of state schools are expensive too!!!

Thanks for any insight

Members don't see this ad.

depending on what you're looking at, out of state and private is about the same!

Really depends on the school. If you look around, there are a good amount of out-of-state and private school tuition less than $80,000. That's almost the same as California's in-state tuition. Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
You just have to research individual programs to find those with lower out-of-state tuition. Some state schools offer out-of-state tuition waivers, too, so you could get in-state tuition as a scholarship. I'm from California where in-state tuition is sky high, so I ended up applying to out-of-state public schools with lower tuition than my own in-state schools.

Expect to pay anywhere between $25k-30k for OOS and private schools. Some schools are a little lower (Texas schools), but some are ridiculous. USC is $40k a year, and FGCU for OOS students is $115 for the entire program. Those numbers almost bring tears to my eyes.

Kevin

Usually this is the case but sometimes private is cheaper. In my case temple (apparently they differentiate) was more expensive out of state than emory by about $6k and instate for temple was about the same as emory (37k for temple out of state vs 31k for emory) that's also without cost of living

Completely depends on the schools. Financial data should be listed on the school's website. Search a bit and you'll find it.

Also check out the school's page on the apta website. That usually lists the tuition among other things

Unfortunately there are no in-state PT programs in my state-- only private. I haven't looked at tuition costs too much, but it seems like out of state tuition (at a place like university of Washington) will be about equal to going to most private schools. Is this the case?

I've noticed several people say "oh, don't go to private schools-- they are so expensive!" Well, out of state schools are expensive too!!!

Thanks for any insight

What are your GRE scores? I just thought about this in another post I just wrote but Andrews University in Michigan does a discount program from your GRE scores. They are a private school running at about $100K for 3 years for I THINK both in and out of state. But if you scored a combine 320 on your GRE, you get 50% off your tuition automatically...

I went out-of-state for PT school. The DPT programs in California (when I was a student) were either private or at the Cal State level which was tethered to a UC school to allow doctoral degree granting. Not sure where all that is at now, but for me the cost was the same. In-state private in Calif was about the same as out-of-state public. The key is to pick an "out" school that has an affordable cost of living. All things being equal I recommend going out-of-state. You need to experience life outside of your comfort zone.

Also check out the school's page on the apta website. That usually lists the tuition among other things

It's frustrating how many instances I've found where the tuition listed on APTA doesn't match what is on the school's website...or how schools will only give tuition costs by the hour but don't say how many hours the program is...