ementges

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
5
0
Status
Hello,
I am currently in my first quarter at my local Ohio State University branch. I went to a school out in AZ last semester but unfortunately the school was not the best. So I am back home, living at home, and attending OSU. Out in AZ I decided to start looking into medicine and whatnot. After much reserach I have decided to fufill the pre-med reuqirement. Yay :D
So anyways, I registered very late this current quarter so my choices for classes was limited. I did get into a math course and a intro psych course though, and of course English.
So here's my dilema.
Next quarter I should be able to get into first quarter Inorganic Chem. However, there is no offering of first quarter boiology for sciene majors. There is however many offfeirngs of Bio 101, the standard GEC course. I know that 101 could not count for the 1 year req. (well I guess it would, but not a good idea I'm sure). But should I take it anyways to re-familiazise myself with biology? In the summer the first quarter science bio will probably be offered, and when I transfer to OU in the fall there will be plenty of Bio of course.
I went to a very small high school were only one class of Bio was offered, and I took that freshman year! Going to such a small branch makes my course offerings small so it's not like I will be forgoing too many other courses.
So basically, should I wait it out or go and get re-familiarized? Extra knowledge never hurts, and it would certainly help my GPA. But, do you guys think it is a waste of time?
Thanks for your time :)
 

nabeel76

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
660
4
Status
ementges said:
Hello,
I am currently in my first quarter at my local Ohio State University branch. I went to a school out in AZ last semester but unfortunately the school was not the best. So I am back home, living at home, and attending OSU. Out in AZ I decided to start looking into medicine and whatnot. After much reserach I have decided to fufill the pre-med reuqirement. Yay :D
So anyways, I registered very late this current quarter so my choices for classes was limited. I did get into a math course and a intro psych course though, and of course English.
So here's my dilema.
Next quarter I should be able to get into first quarter Inorganic Chem. However, there is no offering of first quarter boiology for sciene majors. There is however many offfeirngs of Bio 101, the standard GEC course. I know that 101 could not count for the 1 year req. (well I guess it would, but not a good idea I'm sure). But should I take it anyways to re-familiazise myself with biology? In the summer the first quarter science bio will probably be offered, and when I transfer to OU in the fall there will be plenty of Bio of course.
I went to a very small high school were only one class of Bio was offered, and I took that freshman year! Going to such a small branch makes my course offerings small so it's not like I will be forgoing too many other courses.
So basically, should I wait it out or go and get re-familiarized? Extra knowledge never hurts, and it would certainly help my GPA. But, do you guys think it is a waste of time?
Thanks for your time :)
If you are certain that that Bio 101 course would not count towards your major or the premed requirements, then just wait. Take something else that will count towards the completion of your degree instead. I never took Biology in High School and then took the Bio for science majors in college and never had a problem with it, I don't think you will either. In my opinion taking the non majors bio and then the majors bio might be percieved as poor planning on your part to an admissions commitee, but I am not too sure how this will be viewed.
 

RJSpaulding

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2005
20
0
Status
nabeel76 said:
If you are certain that that Bio 101 course would not count towards your major or the premed requirements, then just wait. Take something else that will count towards the completion of your degree instead. I never took Biology in High School and then took the Bio for science majors in college and never had a problem with it, I don't think you will either. In my opinion taking the non majors bio and then the majors bio might be percieved as poor planning on your part to an admissions commitee, but I am not too sure how this will be viewed.
I agree with nabeel...Keep in mind that even though it's for science majors, the bio course is an intro course. Just work hard when you take it and make sure you understand the material.
 

OSURxgirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
343
0
Status
General Bio for premed/bio majors at OSU is fairly easy.
Skip 101. The 113-114 sequence is required for med schools, so you'll want to take these.
 
OP
E

ementges

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
5
0
Status
OSURxgirl said:
General Bio for premed/bio majors at OSU is fairly easy.
Skip 101. The 113-114 sequence is required for med schools, so you'll want to take these.
Thank you everyone for your replies. I know what to do now :) (wait and not take BIO 101 obviously, haha)
 

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
247
0
The Lou
Status
ementges said:
Thank you everyone for your replies. I know what to do now :) (wait and not take BIO 101 obviously, haha)

Dude, I TOTALLY disagree, as a former Buckeye ( O-H-I-O ) I say take the easy course while you can and use it to pad you science GPA if you run into trouble later, like Mol Gen 500 or Bio Chem 511. Speaking of Bio Chem 511, whatever you do, don’t take it with Gary Means, he totally sucks!!!!. Granted the 101 - 102 series is easy but what’s the harm in taking the classes, if anything they will ensure you’ll rock the 113-114 series. Take it from me, if you have an opportunity to get an easy A in a science course, TAKE IT you’ll thank me later!!!!
 

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
247
0
The Lou
Status
I forgot to mention, consider taking your O-Chem courses at Capital University. They offer an 8wk summer compression course in which you finish all your O-chem Lectures and Labs. It really makes your sophomore and junior years a whole lot easier. I will now respond to the obvious rebuttal, “what would an Ad-com think of that?” answer, they don’t care, I have been accepted to the 2009 class along with many people I know who went through that program. The intensity of the summer courses really makes you learn O-chem, it’s a sink or swim environment. The Bio-Sci advisors at the main campus have info on how to enroll in the course. Not having to worry about O-chem while taking upper level biology courses is a huge advantage. I urged you to consider doing this; I have been in your shoes. Good luck and don’t forget, Michigan Sucks.