1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Question for a DMO: Coumadin and Scuba?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by island doc, Mar 7, 2007.

1. island doc

island doc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Question for a DMO. Are there any contraindications to SCUBA while taking Coumadin with an INR of 2.9? Young otherwsie healthy patient anticoagulated after previous DVT.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DiveMD

DiveMD Giggity giggity!!!
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I believe you are NPQ for diving duty pending a "waiver of physical standards" from BUMED/NAVPERS. Contact your local UMO/DMO in order to expedite the waiver process.

Refer to:

NAVMED P-117, Section III, Art 15-52, (4): Thrombophlebitis in the preceding year.

Also, were you diagnosed with a coagulation defect?
    If yes, refer to:

NAVMED P-117, Section III, Art 15-54, (2) Current o history of coagulation defects.

But if your question is about recreational SCUBA, I am sure you are OK as long as safety is your #1 priority. Stay away from sharks, barracudas and fast moving objects! Ha!

Hope this helps!:luck:

3. IgD

IgD The Lorax
    10+ Year Member

I cut my hand on a wreck dive once. Would you bleed more underwater especially on a deep dive? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    island doc

island doc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Guess I should have mentioned that this is in regards to recreational diving, and for someone else. Thanks for the info.

5. DiveMD

DiveMD Giggity giggity!!!
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician