Question for a DMO: Coumadin and Scuba?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

island doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for a DMO. Are there any contraindications to SCUBA while taking Coumadin with an INR of 2.9? Young otherwsie healthy patient anticoagulated after previous DVT.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Question for a DMO. Are there any contraindications to SCUBA while taking Coumadin with an INR of 2.9? Young otherwsie healthy patient anticoagulated after previous DVT.

Thanks.
I believe you are NPQ for diving duty pending a "waiver of physical standards" from BUMED/NAVPERS. Contact your local UMO/DMO in order to expedite the waiver process.

Refer to:

NAVMED P-117, Section III, Art 15-52, (4): Thrombophlebitis in the preceding year.

Also, were you diagnosed with a coagulation defect?
If yes, refer to:

NAVMED P-117, Section III, Art 15-54, (2) Current o history of coagulation defects.

But if your question is about recreational SCUBA, I am sure you are OK as long as safety is your #1 priority. Stay away from sharks, barracudas and fast moving objects! Ha!

Hope this helps!:luck:

I cut my hand on a wreck dive once. Would you bleed more underwater especially on a deep dive? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you are NPQ for diving duty pending a "waiver of physical standards" from BUMED/NAVPERS. Contact your local UMO/DMO in order to expedite the waiver process.

Refer to:

NAVMED P-117, Section III, Art 15-52, (4): Thrombophlebitis in the preceding year.

Also, were you diagnosed with a coagulation defect?
If yes, refer to:

NAVMED P-117, Section III, Art 15-54, (2) Current o history of coagulation defects.

But if your question is about recreational SCUBA, I am sure you are OK as long as safety is your #1 priority. Stay away from sharks, barracudas and fast moving objects! Ha!

Hope this helps!:luck:

Guess I should have mentioned that this is in regards to recreational diving, and for someone else. Thanks for the info.