Question for all current Wayne State students about housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambrosia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting at Wayne in the fall, and was wondering if you all could give me some input on the housing situation. Ideally I would like to live as close to the University as possible to avoid commuting, and I don't want to be in the dorms. I've heard that a lot of students live at Lafayette towers, and am wondering if that is something you would recommend. Is it walking distance, or do you still have a short drive to get to classes? Or is there somewhere else in Detroit that you would recommend?
My only real concern as far as safety is my car....it's a pretty nice car and I'd like to keep it that way, so hows the car situation in Detroit? Do apartments come with garages that have some sort of security, or how does it work?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea about the housing situation myself, but I do know that if you look on the Wayne class of 2009 one of the pre-MSI's has a site with some pictures of some of the apartments.

Usually apartments have gated and sometimes guarded parking areas. Even if you park on the streets (really hard to get a spot unless you show up at 5 am though) you can park near the school and have the car be safe.

I do know that you can call the office of student affairs and they can send you an info packet with many of the apartments in the area...although I think that others may be able to give you a better idea of locations and prices.

See the above mentioned thread, this has been discussed in detail there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at:

-Lafayette towers
-University Towers
-The Towers residence hall
-University village
-Riverfront towers

I applied for housing back in Feb at University Towers and got the last single they have available....and the guy isn't moving out until Aug 24th. :mad:

Good luck, I'll see you there this fall.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Yea, I think University Towers is not really an option anymore.
I'm gonna go check out Lafayette towers and some stuff on the riverfront next week!

Hi Ambrosia,

Nice care eh?...whats a med student doing with a nice car...arent' we all supposed to be poor?

Just playing...I got a decent car as well and have had no problems thus far. You just have to keep due diligence because anything can happen anywhere. The first and only time my car got broken into was when I was in one of the "wealthy" suburbs so what does that tell you?

I currently live in Lafayette Tower and love it. I used to live in Trolley Plaza.
I think LT has a very fair and competitive price scale. The people are friendly, my friends and quite a few med students live there, I just helped a rising MII move in. It is a quick drive to school, two freeway exits away. Management is good, things get fixed the same day or the next. The parking is gated and there is visitor parking available.