1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question For All: Fess Up! Who Here Is Holding More Than One Acceptance???

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dentalstud07, Apr 25, 2007.

1. dentalstud07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Same as the title,

who is holding more than one acceptance in the month of April or still is holding more than one acceptance?

Name the number of schools you have acceptances to, and the names of the schools.

This should be interesting.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Who cares? They earned the spots, if they want to pay the deposits then it's their right.

4. drpduck

drpduck Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I believe AADSAS will be letting schools know next week where everyone stands. Meaning that they will let schools know where you have been accepted, have sent in a deposit etc. and your status at all the schools you applied to.

So if you are holding multiple deposits, schools will find out about it soon and will likely tell you to make up your mind within a set time period.

5. dentalstud07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Since you lack a brain, I will point out to you that the purpose was not to scold students holding more than one acceptance, but instead to give the rest of us an idea of how much movement there will be since we are on the waiting list. It's not the best time waiting to be accepted! I would like to get an idea of what our chances are.

6. armorshell

Non-Student
    Now...brain hurt...don't...understand :(

7. tooth decay

tooth decay science officer
    2+ Year Member

Another interesting question would be who has been accepted to one school and is awaiting acceptance from an alternate list at another school? It seems like a musical chair scenario where no one wants to give up a spot until a "better" spot opens up.

8. apaul

apaul Some Dude
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    uh, you obviously didnt understand the n00bs statement, it clearly declared you have no brain, so your brain cant be hurting

:smuggrin:

9. utahdent123

utahdent123 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Case
    Nova
    Buffalo

Declining offers of accepatance at Nova and Buffalo....soon

10. philchungski

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    from what i heard from someone.... they changed the rule this year where you cannot hold more than 1 commitment after may 1st... anyone holding more than 1 after this time... i heard will be dropped from all schools...

they changed it because of the increasingly competitive nature of the admissions process for dental school....

11. CaliDDS

2+ Year Member

I am sorry for you

12. burton117

burton117 The Big Kahuna
    10+ Year Member

https://aadsas.adea.org/aadsas2007/instructions/adeaguidelines2007.pdf

f) Applicants holding positions at multiple institutions. [FONT=Arial,Arial]Dental schools participating in AADSAS will report to AADSAS by May 1, the names and identification numbers of candidates who have paid a deposit and/or hold a position in their entering class. After May 5, AADSAS will report to each institution the names of candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s) at additional institutions. Dental schools will have the option of rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who have paid deposits and are holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools with candidates holding multiple positions on May 1of the year of admission will give such candidates a minimum 15-day notice if they choose to withdraw them from the entering class. This policy will be evaluated every two years by the ADEA Section of Dental School Admissions Officers to assess its impact on applicants and dental schools and provide applicants a reasonable time-frame to complete their enrollment process. .

13. CaliDDS

2+ Year Member

good morning
    lol

14. night007

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Thnank you UTAHDENT123 once again...i am waiting for openings at nova!

15. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I love that people here have bashed and feel "sorry" for Armor for his rather benign comment....but then thank Utahdent for letting us know he or she's been holding multiple spots. I really could care less about either post...just find it funny.

16. Cymbidium

Cymbidium Awesome.
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Me. Accepted to NYU. Waitlisted at Tufts and Penn (and Temple, but I think I would go to NYU over Temple). If I get into Tufts or Penn off the waitlist I'll go to either school and you guys can have my NYU spot.

17. wizziefiend

wizziefiend Guest

Dental Student
    I've got spots at more than 1 school.

I was accepted lots of places and it came down to these two schools. There are major financial considerations for both and they haven't been solidified...so until that happens, I'm holding out.

Doesn't make me a jerk...it's just that important to me that I make a good decision.

18. CaliGirl15

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am accepted to NYU, waitlisted at Case and waiting on USC. Still undecided as to what I am going to do.

19. Speeddater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ok, no pun intended, but as I stated in a recent thread, for these people with multiple acceptances, would you talk stuff like "who cares, people have their right, blah, blah," if you (not you, but in general), if you had no acceptances at this point and were on one or even a few waitlists. Would you necessarily be talking like that! A lot of us forgot the anxiety of pre-Dec 1st. Many people with insanely high stats like high 20+++++++ were worried about not getting into dental school at all and started preparing contingency plans. A lot of us forgot about those days as it seems. There is a saying: "power corrupts," & being placed in this position of power, in our case, a dental school acceptance, tends to cloud people's judgments and they forget their roots and the similar position they were in just as we all were not to long ago. If you think waiting until Dec 1st was hard enough, what would you have done if you had to wait for over a period of 6+ months, how would you feel & how would you cope with it? Again, I'm not bashing or pointing fingers, but just bringing to surface the reality of the situation and a thing called the golden rule. How would you feel if you were in this situation & be honest, would you talk things like it doesn't matter & so on. All I'm saying is if you have certain on your decision, by all means, do the right thing, that's all the waitlistees would ask. Something to ponder guys!!!

20. armorshell

Non-Student
    Actually, if I were waitlisted I wouldn't care if people held multiple spots, for the same reasons I quoted above. I'm not saying it wouldn't be annoying, but they earned, and payed for, the right to extend the time they have to make their decision.

21. drzaidds

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    honestly i feel by now ppl who have had multiple acceptances should make a decision already. Fine you paid, waited, and earned what you got, but so did other students as well. Some ppl w/ reallllllllllllllly good stats got waitlisted and not even accepted everything is so arbritary. I truly feel, that if ppl that got accepted to a lot of places should make their decision already and give other ppl a chance to make their dreams a reality. Just a thought :thumbup:

22. prez_al

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's hard to just pick a school when you have more than one acceptance because chances are you will like 2+ schools. Nothing wrong with holding a spot until the May deadline.

23. CaliDDS

2+ Year Member

thank you speeddater

24. utahdent123

5+ Year Member

Actually I have been in your shoes, I'm a reapplicant and was on 5 waiting lists last year. I feel like I can take as much time as I need to decide. It's my money and my life. Don't worry once I decline my other offers, maybe you'll get the seat, maybe you won't. As far as I'm concerned getting an offer of acceptance after May 1st is better than no acceptance at all. Good Luck.

PS: My judgement is fine and it has nothing to do with power. I needed the extra time to decide, so that I didn't rush my decision on which school I should attend.

25. Streetwolf

Streetwolf Ultra Senior Member
    Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    While I agree it would make someone feel a whole lot better to find out now versus in 2 weeks (or longer), I'm sure SOMEONE is at the top of each of the waitlists. So what it comes down to is, will you find out today or will you find out in a week when people have to reject offers?

26. dentalstud07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys, we're going a little off topic. You are entitled to keep more than once acceptance until May 1st. No big deal.

But how about letting us know how common it is among the members of this forum to be holding more than one acceptance.

If you are holding more than one acceptance let us know so that we can get an idea of just how big of a movement is coming up.

Thanks.

27. dddsmack

dddsmack my baby and I
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Okay, I will fess up so everyone on SDN who didn't get in can bash me. Good idea. :thumbdown:

Couldn't agree more with armor.

Oh and to you all who are waiting, I wouldn't expect that big of a movement come May.

28. bruinpredent

bruinpredent UCLA School of Dentistry
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student

:thumbup:

29. wackiezackie82

wackiezackie82 My Idol
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm dying to get off of a wait list too, but whether you know how many people are holding multiple spots now or two weeks from now can't possibly change anything for you since...
    - not everyone will tell you which schools they're holding seats at
    - you don't know how many people out there aren't on SDN and are holding multiple acceptances
    - you don't know how far down the wait list you are anyway
    - you won't get an answer any sooner from the schools

And by asking people to "Fess up!!" you're insinuating that they're doing something wrong by holding multiple spots. But if I had dropped several thousand dollars on deposits (and I think others would agree), I would want to wait till the last possible second I have to make sure I'm 100% happy with my decision.

So no matter what... I wish everyone the best of luck :luck:, but I don't think any number of answers to the OP's question will really help.

30. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    SDN isn't a great measuring stick to use...and neither is the info I am about to provide...but you're welcome to it if you want:

I happen to know quite a good number of applicants this year, and this topic of conversation is old hack. I sat down and listed them all and of the 43 people I listed down who had acceptances...I only know 2 who I'm sure are holding more than one spot (each is only holding one extra). Everyone else has said...which could have been lies...that they cancelled their acceptances at other schools...if they had more than one.

Again...anecdotal evidence...not a true measure...but for whatever hope it may give to your lives...there it is.

31. xdianaax

xdianaax In memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Blah blah blah, it's almost May 1st, just wait it out. Plus, this may give you false hopes, so just keep it real and wait it out.

32. yeabuddy

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I think wackiezackie explained it best. I am a re-applicant and have been accepted to NYU and also waitlisted at other schools including my first choice. But I personally feel that unless you know where exactly you stand on the waitlist then it doesnt really matter. Ive heard of some schools having waitlists as short as 10 people and others having waitlists up to 100 people. As much as it sucks (and trust me i know the feeling) its just a big waiting game. Good Luck to everyone.

33. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am sure there are people holding multiple spots right now, but I am sure most applicants are like myself and can't afford to hold more then one. In order to hold spots you need to put down 500+ $ deposit. Mine was 1000 and it literaly broke my bank, I was broke for weeks after that.

34. utahdent123

5+ Year Member

I just declined my offers of acceptance(Buffalo and Nova)..via fax, I will send a copy of the letter through the mail as well. Hope somebody hears something soon.

35. indentition

indentition Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I will decline 2 spots on Friday or Monday. Sorry for everyone on the waitlist of these respective schools; there were many factors that really needed to be considered when making the decision.

Good luck to everyone on waitlist right now. I hope you get in!!

36. UJ007

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't think asking people to "fess up" is the right way to ask who is holding more than one acceptance and where. You are implying that they are hiding something and need to confess, which they are not.
    Of course you guys with more than one accpetance are free to hold on to them as long as aadsas and the schools allow you to, but I think the purpose of the thread is simply to get an idea of how much movement there is going to be in the next little while.
    Congrats to all that got an acceptance!

37. TheFlossinator

2+ Year Member

I must say, bashing you is one of my favorite SDN activities. Particularly because of your lack of empathy for others. Do you enjoy making people feel bad about themselves? Do you like "crushing others dreams"? What the heck difference does it make to you if there is a lot of movement in May or none? We all know you are in to dental school. You aren't being threatened at all. So why do you care if others are hoping to get in??!?! My gosh, let up and leave well enough alone!

It is people like you who give dentistry a bad name, because you are already a sadist.

38. cocokeala

cocokeala katonk!
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    "it is people like you" blah blah blah.
    these threads are always a blast when i have nothing to do

39. dddsmack

dddsmack my baby and I
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Oh....If i had a nickel for every SDNer with less than 20 posts that bashed me.......:laugh:

40. Envision

Envision Envisioning...
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    You don't know this, and even if you did, there is no reason to say this. I'm sure a fair number of students are holding multiple spots and will give them up come may. Its one thing to say its the prerogative of those who are accepted to choose when they will withdraw their spot. its another thing to be insensitive and non-empathetic to those who are waiting. I bet if you were not yet accepted, you'd be speaking in a different key.

41. Speeddater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Thank you Envision, you summed up my above post in much fewer words than I have, especially that last sentence.

42. DocPainless

2+ Year Member

I am holding multiple spots and will drop all but one come May 1st. Good luck to everyone waiting.

43. UJ007

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    How come very few people actually specify what spot(s) they are declining?

44. dddsmack

dddsmack my baby and I
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    ...............Exactly :thumbup:

45. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I've decided to actually attend every school to which I hold an acceptance. Money be damned! No one can have my hard-earned spots.

46. indentition

indentition Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Haha... I just declined Pacific after they called me and woke me up telling me that I didn't get housing. One down, One to go. Gratz on whoever gets it.

P.S. That's not the only reason I turned down Pacific, but waking me up early in the morning got me off my lazy ass to actually write them a letter and fax/mail it to them.

47. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Everyone is missing the BIG picture here. If you are on the wait list and the numbers move then you will get in. The OP was generally interested in seeing the % of people still holding spots so he could get a feel for how much things will move. The competitive nature of this cycle won't allow for much movement compared to the past. No one has been degrading anyones dreams here, they have been speaking opinions.

ITS A MESSAGE BOARD. People who take things too personally and whine about what others say give a group or organization a bad name.

If you are on a wait list then obviously come May 1st and the following week or so YOU WILL HEAR BACK FROM THE SCHOOL... if not reapply and fulfill your dreams regardless of what some asshat on SDN said.

When does school start anyway? July? August? You guys still have 3 more months to hear back...if you haven't then I would login to AADSAS and start over.