Question for all you Kaplan teachers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how long it takes to go from an audition to actually teaching a course because of the training sessions. If I get an audition this upcoming week, will I be able to teach a course for the August MCAT that starts in May sometime?

Members don't see this ad.

Wahina said:
I'm wondering how long it takes to go from an audition to actually teaching a course because of the training sessions. If I get an audition this upcoming week, will I be able to teach a course for the August MCAT that starts in May sometime?

Depends on the training schedule. My training was over one weekend, 8 hours per day. So, Id imagine they have some condensed training upcoming for the August MCAT. Good luck :)

Wahina said:
Generally, you need to complete a 4-5 week training period (3-4 hrs/week). This may be center-specific. They allowed me to teach before I had completed the training program because I had a lot of experience teaching science. I'm not sure how common this is....

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have my audition until after the april MCAT, and I taught for the August, so it is certainly possible. If you get hired on, they are pretty good about the training working around your schedule (at least in my experience).

Depends on how bad they're hurting for a teacher.

Yeah, I guess it depends. I trained for 3 days, and I was scheduled a class on my 3rd training day.

Just to add my two cents, I started training the week before I took the August MCAT, and I taught for April. My training took about 3 weeks.

You got training?? Lucky!!! My training consisted of doing 3 20 minute over-the-phone presentations. Oh well, after a few classes you know what your doing.

While I assume it changes from place to place, what are some rough numbers for Kaplan tutor pay? ($/hr)

In Ohio Kaplan pays $15/hour for actual teaching/tutoring, and $7 for non-teaching (preparing in advance, proctoring, training).

NOTE that the pay is the SAME for any kind of class. So, you can bust your butt on Organic Chemistry and earn $15/hour, or you can walk some high school kids through basic algebra and earn... $15/hour. It didn't take me long to realize that the SAT/ACT stuff is a heckuva lot easier than quantum physics.

If your Center has a lot of MCAT teachers, then you probably won't get many classes and they may deliberately not have you teach MCAT until you've taught lower level classes. If you're next to a gigantic undergrad school like Arizona State or something, expect to pick up a lot of hours fast.

t33sg1rl said:
If you're next to a gigantic undergrad school like Arizona State or something, expect to pick up a lot of hours fast.

Yes. I work at the Austin Kaplan center, which is adjacent to UT-Austin. AND there's no medical school in Austin, so I get crazy hours (at least 15/week in 3-hour shifts).

Here we start at $14/hr. Completion of a class with good reviews gets you a $3 raise, and additional excellent reviews can get you many more $3 raises. Prep time pays $7 an hour, and helping out around the center (as a KSA/proctor) pays $8. I think essay grading pays $12.

I spent some of the morning investigating this and I found that starting pay is $20 dollars (I was looking into the MCAT prep, so that may explain the difference in postings), which may be higher for those with teaching experience and/or higher education.

MCAT teachers at the Atlanta center start at $20/hr for teaching. :thumbup: I know they pay less for others... I think SAT is around $16-18/hr

What kind of a score on the MCAT would get you qualified to teach?

For me, once I heard that they were interested in me, which was within a week or so of interviewing, I was already being scheduled to teach MCAT classes. I did the training program days before my first class started. crazy!

kpatel said:
What kind of a score on the MCAT would get you qualified to teach?
They said that you have to have earned a 90% (within the last 5 years) on any test you'd like to teach for. You need proof of those grades or you need to take a sample test to prove your ability (e.g. If you don't have your SAT scores and you want to be a tutor for that test, you'd take a SAT test).

For the MCAT, that means at least an 11 or higher (R or greater for essay, I assume) in any category you want to teach.