Question for all...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Global Disrobal

Along for the ride
Moderator Emeritus
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for the ERAS veterans and whomever else can shed some light on this, especially now that the match is over:

Here are my stats:

FMG (US-Citizen, Carribean school)
Step 1 and 2 over 210
Post-Soph Fellowship
Honors in all cores

Considering the recent trends in Path (inc. US Senior applicants) I am more or less ****ting in my pants at the prospect that the FMG status will be a BIG strike against me in my chances at residency. Any FMG's in here match this year or recently? GP, you know or hear of any sentiments toward US FMG's?

Any info you folks share will be appreciated! Anyhow, I must return to Freida and my incessant perusing of Path program websites.

Members don't see this ad.

hey global disrobal,

im in the same boots as you man. for over a year now, ive been following everything going on in the Path. match and evaluating how well i will be able to land a decent spot somewhere, and this year's stats are making me feel ill.

im also an IMG. my Step 1 score is slightly less than yours and Step 2 will be taken in July. From what i have read, the % of US grads matching went from 49% to 59% this year. That still is a very low # of AMGs entering Pathology. Which is good news for us (for now at least).

Im assuming that next year will hold another jump in these stats, hopefully people who are *genuinely* interested in Pathology will be able to make it. Pathology is the 0NLY specialty i want to do. I have no back up choice and it's "Path or Bust" (taken via Dr. Cuts "Rads or bust").

Feel free to drop me an email if you wanna share info.

2004! here we come!

A US citizen FMG has an advantage over a non-US citizen FMG. But, it will still be tougher. You should be able to match, but plan on going to many programs to make sure. Also, if you can possibly do an away rotation at the place you most want to go that would be to your benefit. We have non-US grad FMGs in our program as well as US grad FMGs. But, this year we did not interview any FMGs whatsoever. So certain places will be getting tougher and tougher if the applications keep going up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies gang,

Rirriri: I feel your pain man, good luck w/the process. I'll keep you posted as to how things progress

GP- As usual your words are wisdom are appreciated. I have looked into the visiting rotation issue, but I have concurrently faced the numerous e-mails from the programs saying that they do not offer rotations to FMG's. Regardless I am sticking with Path and we'll see how it goes. Its good to see that programs (such as yours) do have some FMG's, but I wonder how long that'll last.

GD

my school has only sent 3 students into path in the last 5 years, but next year there are five of us applying for sure with a couple of other probables. Two of them are MD/PhDs, one with boards of 261 and the other with 257. The other 2 are "junior" AOA, like me with boards greater than 245. I assumed my AOA and step 1 of 249 would ensure my ability to pick whatever program I wanted, but now after hearing other people's troubles and talking with some attendings (at places like UCSF and Univ of Chicago) who say they are predominantly looking for MD/PhDs who are committed to academic investigative pathology (not private practice), I assume my odds will be slim to none of going to any of the big name power house programs. Fortunately Chicago and New York have numerous programs, but the west coast is a bit of a bummer. San Francisco has only UCSF as a program. That is one of the big problems with SF (where I used to live). It is a nice but very small city with no major academic centers in the city confines (other than the medical school). Berkeley is a world away from SF and Stanford feels like the middle of nowhere compared to the city. The west coast needs to develop the academic and cultural tradtions of Chicago, NY, and Boston.