question for anyone accepted to NJMS for 2002 or 2003

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJ_80

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. It states on my acceptance letter for NJMS (2003) that "acceptance is contingent upon final verification by AMCAS of application information".I was wondering if this refers to extra curricular activities listed on the AMCAS application. Will NJMS require me to verify these activities and the dates? the reason i ask is that I want to stop one of the (volunteer) activities that I said I was going to do until feb 2003 because i need to get another job. Can they take away my acceptance if I stop this volunteer activity listed on AMCAS? Thank you:)

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing I ever remember AMCAS having to verify was academic transcripts, enrollment in the college you call home, and I believe MCAT scores as well. Extracurrics are your word against the world's, however, and there's really no good way to verify extracurrics.

Needing to stop an EC because you need to get another job seems like something that would be perfectly fine to do. I think what they meant is that you have to keep doing well in your classes and not screw up just because you're accepted now. I think it's a little to inflexible for them to mean that you have to keep doing every EC you listed on your AMCAS app...situations in life change, and I'm sure they understand that. You should talk to the admissions office if you still feel unsure about what to do. They won't reneg on your admissions offer just for asking that question. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey NJ_80,

I was accepted into NJMS a few weeks ago. When I called to confirm that they had received my deposit, the secretary said, "Of course, we still need your transcripts." Now, I graduated in 1999, so my transcripts are complete as listed on my AMCAS (i.e., no second-semester senior year stuff), but they still want them. Perhaps this is what they mean when they say "acceptance is contingent upon final verification by AMCAS of application information". Who knows?

BTW, how did you like NJMS? I had a very positive experience, and it is now one my top picks. The only lingering concern I have is for the old-fashioned curriculum, and the fact that many students use the note-taking service instead of attending classes....

LL

LL, I also really had a positive experience at the school and it has always been a top choice of mine. I don't have a lot of lingering concerns with the curriculum or the school itself. Some of my friends who have applied, though, don't like the location.

I am a current NJMS MS-1 and I am very happy with my fist couple months. As most people will tell you the clinical experience is second to none, and this shows in the quality of thier residency placements. As far as the students not attending class, you will get that at most medical schools you attend, and contrary to what you have a heard a large percentage of students do attend class, but certain classes can be successfully conquered studying on your own other callses may be more difficult. This is a product of the time constraint placed on most med students. I

sng33 -

Excellent! I may have to pick your brain (and any other NJMS students' brains) in the coming months as I make a final decision on which school to attend.

So most students do attend class... good to know. One other question about the curriculum: how do you like the way that tests/quizzes are structured? I had also heard that students are burdened with lots of quizzes and tests - but then again, that could be good, because it forces them to stay on top of the material....

What is the general atmosphere of the student body - does everybody cooperate, or do you feel like you are in competition with your classmates?

The location did look pretty crummy, but the security around the building and parking garage looked pretty good; do you feel safe there?

Dr. Heinrich mentioned that there will be a Jan. 3rd open house of sorts, and I am planning on attending. I did have a really positive experience - NJMS is right at the top of my list - and I'd love any feedback you feel like giving!

LL

forgive me for being airheaded, but after we are accepted, are we just supposed to go ahead and send them our transcripts, or will they send us something requesting them? i am confused . . .

i am also curious about why, for some of you, the experience was so "positive". my day was just an interview and tour. overall, pretty neutral. my interviewer was awesome, but otherwise the admissions people didn't seem all that together, especially compared to RWJ. did you go on Wednesday, when they had that special lunch?

anyway, i am also interested in NJMS students' thoughts.