Question for Black Female Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleH

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As black females entering the upper eschelons of professional work, do you find that it is harder for you to find dates and/or get married? The black women in my class are always complaining that there are no men to date. (Men? This is a comment I don't understand - do they black men?) None of them are in serious relationships, neither are some of the residents that I have seen. Those that do have someone is someone they found before medical school and they are definitely older in age (>30). Younger black women seem to have a hard time finding dates while in medschool. Is this "tough" situation a perception of black women or is it real? As black female medical students is there a thought that the men you date have to meet a certain standard? i.e. also a doctor, businessman, lawyer, professional, etc. Would you date/marry a person of a different race if you couldn't find someone who met these standards? White/Asain/Pakisani? Also how often is this thought on your minds?

I'm curious to know because as I look at this thread "Any black female pre-meds out there" there seems to be a common theme of either/or. Either the black female doctor has a very successful career in medicine i.e surgeon or she gets married (and if this happens she is almost always older i.e >30). I also wonder what the average age black female medstudents/doctors get married at. Just curious...

Members don't see this ad.

And you couldn't put this in the black female thread becauuuuuuuuuuuuuse?