Question for class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your relationship status?

• Single and not looking

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Single and looking

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • In a relationship

Votes: 47 43.5%
  • Married

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Married with kids

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have spoken with several other class of 2013'ers, and it seems that most people are married or have children. Is this really true of med students? Please tell me your status.

Members don't see this ad.

I have spoken with several other class of 2013'ers, and it seems that most people are married or have children. Is this really true of med students? Please tell me your status.

Most or some? I don't think that's the impression I've gotten...:confused:

There are lots of shades of "in a relationship"...

Members don't see this ad :)
Most or some? I don't think that's the impression I've gotten...:confused:

Particularly at the osteopathic interviews, most interviewees were married. Not so much at the MD interviews.

Particularly at the osteopathic interviews, most interviewees were married. Not so much at the MD interviews.

Hmm, yeah I think that makes sense. I've heard that in general DO applicants are a little older. So that might explain the marriage/kids thing.

Yah, I have met only a few people who were married. Many were in relationships and there were other single people like myself...

I'm engaged right now, but I'll be married once I actually start med school.

Can people vote please?:nod:
We need more than 17 replies. Right now, it looks like 75% of people will be off the market when we start medical school. Is that really true?

It won't let me vote.

I'm in a relationship, but may be engaged before med school. I'm going to marry the person i'm with, it's just a matter of when (which is a matter of how much money I have in my pocket).

im in a relationship (2 years)....do not plan on being engaged or married anytime soon, but still plan on being in the relationship. she still has one year left of school though, so well be about 45 min apart.

And yea, I think the average entering age for DO students is around 26, compared to the MD which is like 24, so it makes sense that you would see a difference in the distribution of married/single/in relationship.

But you know how you solve this problem? Go to a med school affiliated/next to an undergraduate campus....... ching ching.

im in a relationship (2 years)....do not plan on being engaged or married anytime soon, but still plan on being in the relationship. she still has one year left of school though, so well be about 45 min apart.

And yea, I think the average entering age for DO students is around 26, compared to the MD which is like 24, so it makes sense that you would see a difference in the distribution of married/single/in relationship.

But you know how you solve this problem? Go to a med school affiliated/next to an undergraduate campus....... ching ching.

At my University of Maryland interview, the tour guide pointed out the nursing school, and told us that we will not need to go there unless we are looking to find a single nurse:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol.. why would you want to pick someone from medical school? Keep the options open. Date an undergrad or someone from another grad school.

Plus the med. school bunch isn't the most attractive (unless you end up going to school in Texas)

Lol.. why would you want to pick someone from medical school? Keep the options open. Date an undergrad or someone from another grad school.

Plus the med. school bunch isn't the most attractive (unless you end up going to school in Texas)

Its funny... at Southwestern, they told me that California had the best looking group...

Wonder what the male to female ratio is in the singles section.

Its funny... at Southwestern, they told me that California had the best looking group...

Maybe b/c it's Southwestern lol

UTMB was better than Southwestern though.. never been to a Cali interview so I don't know

(I'm not from Texas, so I'm not biased)

I'm a little disappointed that the "married with kids" option wasn't listed as "married with children."

...love and marriage, love and marriage, they go together like a horse and carriage, this I tell you brother, you can't have one without the other...

Al Bundy fo' life.

Maybe b/c it's Southwestern lol

UTMB was better than Southwestern though.. never been to a Cali interview so I don't know

(I'm not from Texas, so I'm not biased)

For me, Dartmouth, Southwestern, and El Paso had the best looking interviewees... I only interviewed at 2 Cali schools and there were only 10 people total so it was not as good of a population...

For me, Dartmouth, Southwestern, and El Paso had the best looking interviewees... I only interviewed at 2 Cali schools and there were only 10 people total so it was not as good of a population...

Dartmouth? really? Hmmm mayb just one or so in my group. Well u've got the undergrad campus rite next door...so Things are def looking up!:D

Dartmouth? really? Hmmm mayb just one or so in my group. Well u've got the undergrad campus rite next door...so Things are def looking up!:D

Well there was this one specific person who kind of overshadowed my whole experience of Dartmouth... and I forgot what her name was...:(

At my University of Maryland interview, the tour guide pointed out the nursing school, and told us that we will not need to go there unless we are looking to find a single nurse:laugh:

I'm married to a nurse. I really like it. She actually laughs at my nerdy medical-related jokes. And, she tells me what kind of doctor NOT to be (she works in neurosurg).

(Not that all neurosurgeons are jerks)

I think that marrying a nurse works better for male physicians. I know a female resident who dated a male nurse, and he had major ego problems with it. He had a really hard time being with a successful female physician.

I think that marrying a nurse works better for male physicians. I know a female resident who dated a male nurse, and he had major ego problems with it. He had a really hard time being with a successful female physician.

I can understand this... guys do have bigger egos...

Plus I am interested in the survival of this poll, :D

You've described my situation precisely.

I'm in a relationship, but may be engaged before med school. I'm going to marry the person i'm with, it's just a matter of when (which is a matter of how much money I have in my pocket).

Guys, you've got it all wrong. I'm married to a law student, and that's where it's at. For my third and fouth years of med school, she'll be bringing in a six-figure salary. Plus, she's looking at summer jobs that will earn her about $25,000 just for the summer. This will obviously help with paying for med school.

Plus, she's hot.

Oh, and I am absolutely and maddeningly in love with this girl. That helps a lot too.

to the single and not looking, please explain?

Guys, you've got it all wrong. I'm married to a law student, and that's where it's at. For my third and fouth years of med school, she'll be bringing in a six-figure salary. Plus, she's looking at summer jobs that will earn her about $25,000 just for the summer. This will obviously help with paying for med school.

Plus, she's hot.

Oh, and I am absolutely and maddeningly in love with this girl. That helps a lot too.

lucky, lucky man..

Plus, she's hot.

This man has the right idea.

That, or they don't necessarily want to be in a relationship because they're concentrating on school/work or other reasons.

or also maybe residual from a recent bad breakup...

to the single and not looking, please explain?

I chose that option b/c I think relationships take a lot of time and effort. I know medical school is going to rule my life. If there was an option "single and looking for fun" I def would have chosen that:D

I chose that option b/c I think relationships take a lot of time and effort. I know medical school is going to rule my life. If there was an option "single and looking for fun" I def would have chosen that:D

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

QFT

On topic, won't this vary tremendously from school to school. I would there is probably a correlation between avg. class age.