R

rphfan2009

Info about me: I'm finishing my pre-reqs for pharm school at the moment (I'm in my mid-30's and have a BS/MBA already). Anyhow...I'm currently working as a retail pharmacy tech (Part-time) and I have also shadowed clinical pharmacists. After spending sometime in the retail setting, I have come to realize that I ABSOLUTELY HATE retail pharmacy and I'm way more passionate about doing clinical pharmacy for the rest of my life.

So here is my question: Can I do a residency program (PGY1) and work at a retail pharmacy (part-time...less than 20 hrs a week) just to supplement my income??

Thank you in advance for your help :)

KARM12

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status
Pharmacist
Info about me: I'm finishing my pre-reqs for pharm school at the moment (I'm in my mid-30's and have a BS/MBA already). Anyhow...I'm currently working as a retail pharmacy tech (Part-time) and I have also shadowed clinical pharmacists. After spending sometime in the retail setting, I have come to realize that I ABSOLUTELY HATE retail pharmacy and I'm way more passionate about doing clinical pharmacy for the rest of my life.

So here is my question: Can I do a residency program (PGY1) and work at a retail pharmacy (part-time...less than 20 hrs a week) just to supplement my income??

Thank you in advance for your help :)
Theoretically yes, realistically no. In all honesty, you won't have that kind of time. Plus you would burn yourself out very fast.

Most programs have resitrictions on duty hours which include moonlighting at another pharmacy.

billsbills

10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
ASHP accredited programs require you to work no more than 80 hours a week. So you should make sure that you document all of your hours, including the work done at your residency site.

I agree with the poster above. I worked a similar schedule myself during my 1st and 2nd of residency, I was really burned out at the end of the two years. If you don't have a mortgage, a huge car payment or a family; I encourage you to not work anywhere part time and focus on your residency.

MustLoveDrugs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
You should know that there are residencies that will pay you for weekend staffing. They are few and far between and I believe all or most are in the VA system, but they do exist. If you match with one of those programs, your income gets supplemented while you are fulfilling your residency staffing requirements. It's a very, very, very sweet deal.

There are other residencies that don't require weekend staffing at all. In those instances, you could probably work 1-2 weekends per month in retail and not feel overwhelmed.

It depends a great deal on what you want to do and where you want to be because programs like those mentioned above are tough to find in a hospital residency setting.

Aug 21, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
It completely depends on you and your time management skills. I spent about 70 -80 hrs a week on residency activities and worked on the side, but my co-residents didn't.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Innisfree
Status
Pharmacist
I worked 16 hours a month at Wags during my residency and I thought it was terrible. I was only putting in 40-50 hours/week at my residency and had no required staffing. But I'm also a person that like a lot of down time, so you might feel differently.

It sucked to have to defer some of my loans but I don't think I could have worked any more during school and residency.

gsinccom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Wasatch Front
Status
Pharmacist
I feel like you don't understand the time and commitment it takes to be a resident...Residency is hard work.
I was hoping noone would take offense to my quoting spacecowgirl. I guess I should have stated it like I did in another thread regarding hours required per week in a residency, "I could handle 50-60 but the thought of putting in 60 or more, especially 70-80, is a bit overwhelming." Thanks for all your help Karm12.:oops:

KARM12

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status
Pharmacist
I was hoping noone would take offense to my quoting spacecowgirl. I guess I should have stated it like I did in another thread regarding hours required per week in a residency, "I could handle 50-60 but the thought of putting in 60 or more, especially 70-80, is a bit overwhelming." Thanks for all your help Karm12.:oops:
It is overwhelming at first, but you learn how to deal with the stress. You will become very efficient.

lazydazy

Go Bulls!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
Florida
Status
Pharmacist
Hi,
I'm applying to residencies and I'm just curious why residents have to work 80 hours per week? Is it a hazing process? Aren't you more inclined to make a mistake by working so much? In addition to the 80 hours a the hospital then you have to find time to complete various projects, presentations, and your research project, correct?

I know it's going to be a year or two of exhaustion but I want it. I hate retail pharmacy.

lazydazy

Go Bulls!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
Florida
Status
Pharmacist
60 is OK, but 80 is ridiculous. Oh well, I'll do what I have to do. Thanks.

Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Most of the PGY1s in my area are structured as "12 day on - 2 day off". So if you have to do some presentations at home few days a week, you easily end up averaging 60-80 hr work week.

Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Just as a side note, my cousin did 3 years of residency in Orthodontics after dental school, her residency was only 40 hours/week - very little presentations. Owning 2 clinics now, her take home salary is in the 7 figures.

So if you are still in pre-pharm. May be dental school is another option to consider. I wish I considered years ago.