Question for current Albany med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilies

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted at AMC and I am strongly considering the school. Can any of you current students offer some insight into the school...what you think of your experience so far....what you like best/least? what about the organ system-based curriculum? does it prepare you well for the boards? also, how well do albany students match at their top choice of residencies? I'm a cali resident and would really like to go back there after med school. any thoughts, views and opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My Brother is a fourth year at AMC and he has 15 interviews in Radiology from places such as Harvard, Cleveland Clinic, Columbia. I couldn't tell you how well they match, but if you do a search for "match lists" etc you will find a link to a site that has the match info. I think that residency really places more weight on board scores than institution.

As far as the school, I interviewed there last year, and I thought that the gross lab was ghetto, and the school was having issues. On the other hand the admin was the nicest that I had met on any of my interviews.

The outdoors are close so if you like getting out and in nature it is a great choice. If you are a city person, it may not be that great for you.

I am a first year at AMC right now. and I have to say that I like it. the things that I find the best about the place are: the accesibility of faculty and administration -- they really want to help, the ease of shadowing someone, having the whole hospital to your yourself and no other med schools to share with, most doctors are very psyched to have students around also and very psyched to teach, and the more relaxed atmosphere. I also like the theme based curriculum, and I think it prepares one for the boards just fine. the anatomy is also very good. there is one cadavre per two students. the proffesors for it are also very good. so you learn very well. if you are looking for a top place, this is not it. But if you are looking for a place where you can enjoy your medical school experience albany is a very good place to be!

hope this helps!

plus, you don't have to decide now. if you change your mind by may 15, they will give you your deposit back w/o any problems.