Question for Current Med Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GirlFromPhilly

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I was blessed with a marriage proposal on the 28th, and of course I accepted. It is our plan to have a small (very small) ceremony (immediate family only) now and in the future have our vow renewal be the big one!! My question is, planning for the future it seems like the best time to have a wedding would be May or June after graduation from school, right before residency. At that point he would have been working 2 years as a college professor (in school getting PhD now). Does anyone have any other suggestions? We were thinking June would be good so I can have at least 2-3weeks to work on any details myself. I was under the impression that the summer after graduation is one of the only ones without any obligations, and that residency does not start till August or September.

Thanks for any insight provided!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Residency start date is usually early July with some having an orientation at the end of June or first week of July.

Are you a current med student? If not, another good time would be the summer after first year. The advantage being that you might have to worry about moving that summer you start residency. Of course, it might be easier to plan a wedding during the latter half of fourth year since it is reported that 4th year can be as light as you want it to be.

Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is funny... I got engaged on the 26th, and we are planning a wedding for early June, after I graduate. I'm currently a 3rd year, so it seems like this is the best (or maybe only!) time to do it. We'll be able to go on a honeymoon, and then probably have at least a week to move to our new destination before I have any residency obligations (hopefully we'll already have an apartment lined up!) How far along in school are you? It is possible to get married during med school, if you're just starting and don't wanna wait YEARS to get married.

CONGRATS on your engagement! :)

The summer after 1st year would be a good time to get married because you don't have any summer obligations. Also, the latter half of 1st year is usually not so bad because you are in the swing of things and have already adjusted to med school life. If it's going to be a small wedding, I would think you'd be able to plan it okay. The summer after 2nd year would be a bad time simply because I don't know how you'd plan the wedding. 2nd year is a lot busier and then you have boards to worry about. 3rd year is rumored to be pretty busy as well so I don't know how you'd plan your wedding then, either. And then 4th year is supposed to be a dream so that would be a good time to plan it. I was under the impression that residency programs began on july 1, so that would give you time to get married right after you graduate and have a honeymoon, although things may get hectic if you are moving far away, etc. I'm a 2nd year, and I figure that if I don't get married right after 4th year, then it'll be a long time before I'd have the time to do it. I hope this helps.

BTW, there are a lot of guys in my class who have gotten married, but they of course didn't have to do the majority of the planning. The girls who have gotten married did it over xmas break 1st yr (she had all the planning completed before school began) and then one summer after 1st.

most all residencies start july 1 with orientation before that usually.

later