Question for current medical students/accepted applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AF1892

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering but I got a 6 in Verbal, 10, 11 on the MCAT. Has ANYONE in here gotten in to med school with a 6 in Verbal, or know of anyone?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yup in MCP Hahnemann!!!

I'd retake it if I were you. But that's just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to take it again, and really try hard in that verbal portion. Your science scores are solid.

I know many people that got into school with an VR of 8 but people I spoke with a VR of 7 ended up retaking the test.

Good luck.

Let me add that you might want to take that MCAT again as getting acceptance with those scores may be rare.... Much luck!!! :cool:

What other statistics do you have? Admissions use that score to make sure that you're more than just a lab rat with a strong head for titration and organic mechanism. Do you have any real world experience or strong grades in 'non science' courses? I got into 4 schools with an 8 in inorganic science section. Not a six but not exactly a prize winner for the sections that are supposedly most important.

In other words.....you're probably gonna have to take it again but....if you have some way of explaining or offsetting that low verbal....there may be hope.

Strom 'when is meals on wheels gonna get here' thurmond :mad:

PS: DO schools statistically say that they accept lower MCAT scores. If you're looking that way...there may even be more hope.

Strom "I need some prunes Nurse" Thurmond

Originally posted by Strom:
•PS: DO schools statistically say that they accept lower MCAT scores. If you're looking that way...there may even be more hope.

Strom "I need some prunes Nurse" Thurmond•

a six is too low, even for D.O. You would have to have one hell of an application to get in with that. my advice, retake.

Ditto on Jeff05's comment.... :cool:

I'm starting first year at MCP Hahnemann, but I've been here for the last year doing the IMS program. Of all the med students I've talked to here (and other schools) I've never heard of anyone accepted with a 6 on verbal. Of course I can't totally deny this, since I don't know everyone's scores, but here's a couple things about that. Hahnemann rightfully prides itself on accepting a large number on minority applicants, even with scores below the average. Unless you fall into this category AND you have other things to boost your app with, I would consider retaking the MCAT. Secondly, I don't remember who just wrote this on the thread, but contrary to what one might assume, the verbal reasoning score is the single most important indicator of how one may do in med school. I have heard several directors of admissions mention this and cite statistics ad nauseum, with the poing being that your verbal reasoning score is not something that should be viewed more lightly than bio or physical sciences. Verbal is hands-down the most difficult section of the test, and it's quite possible you just had a bad test... there's not a lot of room for error. Work on your reading abilities/techniques and retake the test, as fun ( ;) ) as that sounds.... good luck

I have a friend who got a 7 in verbal and got into two UCs (UCI and UCD) as well as another school out of state. He got many more interviews and didn't go to some of them. I believe he got a 10P and 11B (or vice versa). Good luck!

Hey Westgirl,

I was curious about your friend who got into UCD and UCI, with a 7 on her verbal. I am not questioning the truth of what you are saying, but I am just curious what other wonderful part of her application do we not know about. Did she do something that really made her stick out or was her undergrad just stellar? If you don't mind filling in a few blanks I would appreciate it much.

Thanks

In addition to the above poster, can you share whether or not this person was URM? Thanx

The simple fact is that most schools require that there be no score below a 7. Therefore, you should check with the schools that you are planning to apply to and see if this is true for you. If so the rest of your application means nothing and you will have to retake.

Good luck
Richard

I talked with a person on an adcom, and he said that scores of 7 (across the 3 MCAT areas) statistically show that you will pass the USMLE. (He didn't say how high you would be, but just that you would statistically pass.)
This is probably why the absolute cut-off is 7 in any subject area.
I don't much about statistics, but I am just repeating the information.

I have the same score as the original poster: 6VR 10PS 11BS, coupled with a poor writing sample. I'm a psychology major, plus I took time off school a while ago, so I'm six years removed from my freshman year. I know my chances are very slim, but I'm sick of the undergraduate life that I'm applying this year no matter what anyone thinks. I'm not delusional either, so I won't apply to schools like UCSF, Stanford or big name schools like that. I'll apply to about 28 lower-tier schools across the nation.

Well, my friend is an RN, has a high GPA, and is NOT an URM. There was nothing exceptionally stellar about the application except for the high GPA and experience in the health field as an RN. There were research and scholarship awards, but nothing really out of the ordinary. I read a draft of his personal statement, which was impressive, although there wasn't anything extraordinary (i.e. personal experiences, etc.), except that he was born in another country. He also graduated from a state universty...with honors of course. Also a CA resident. I'm racking my brain but I can't think of anything else.

Hey Westgirl,

Thanks for the reply--I appreciate it much. With the stress of applying to medical schools and all the "you won't make it" comments, it is nice to hear that some people do make it.

I have spent two years on the east coast doing a master's to help improve my profile. I want so desperately to return home to the west coast and attend medical school there. Hopefully, it will happen.

Thanks again for responding.

posted by twister June 27, 2001 09:13 AM

I talked with a person on an adcom, and he said that scores of 7 (across the 3 MCAT areas) statistically show that you will pass the USMLE. (He didn't say how high you would be, but just that you would statistically pass.)
This is probably why the absolute cut-off is 7 in any subject area.
I don't much about statistics, but I am just repeating the information.

That's an interesting tidbit twister.... where did that particular adcom get his/her source of the information? Just wondering if you knew.... Thanks for the information.