Question for current students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samwise2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

Was just wondering, I noticed the budgets issued by med schools are for 10 months or 11 or 9, depending on the year. What does one do for the remaining months? Can you take out extra loans if your job doesn't cover you? What do most people do?

Thanks-
Samwise:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Was just wondering, I noticed the budgets issued by med schools are for 10 months or 11 or 9, depending on the year. What does one do for the remaining months? Can you take out extra loans if your job doesn't cover you? What do most people do?

Thanks-

Some people are eligible for extra loans. Most people just have to budget.

A few people just starve until the next loan cycle.

We only have one 3 month period over the 4 years that isn't covered by loans and a lot of students at my school found jobs working in labs during that time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some students take summer research fellowships during the down time that are well-paying (at least relative to the financial aid budget). The main thing that worries me is the lack of health insurance coverage (even though the school's insurance is pretty bad during the school year).

According to the school, they're not really responsible for you in semesters you aren't enrolled. I guess they expect you to go back home and live with your parents.

Hey there,

Thanks-
We don't have this problem at my school since we basically have classes year round. But yeah, at most schools, you have a few months off for the summer after M1, and you have to figure out a way to support yourself then. A lot of people do research I think for that reason along with wanting to pad the ol' resume.