Question for CWRU students (about laptop)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gainer

Prefrontal Sclerosis
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it looks like I will be attending Case next year. So, here's my question: I have been planning on buying a laptop, but case has that whole deal where they give ya one, right? Can anybody give me the specs on last years model and tell me if they let you put in a little extra $$$ to get a better one?

(I've been saving to buy one, so I have the money to... )

I looked all around for info on this, and really couldn't find anything. Also, is there a Case med student forum? (kinda like how undergrads have dailyjolts)

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

They give you one, which they make pretty clear that it remains the property of the university until you graduate. Which means if you take a year off, you are reissued the year you re-entered's model. Every class has a different model. I'll try to look up the specs for 2005 for you, but you should get a letter fairly soon discussing the specs, etc.

Congratulations, see you in August!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a third year at Case. Our laptops pretty much...well...how do I put this nicely? They suck. We got IBMs my year but now they are giving out Dells. I too had planned to buy a computer before med school but then decided to go to Case so didn't need one. The model that we got was about the absolute bottom of the line model that you could get at that time. Pentium Celeron 333 MHz, 3.1 GB HD, 64 MB RAM. Something like that. I've had tons of problems with mine and after having to surrender my laptop for more than a week on 3 or more occasions I decided to convert my laptop into a doorstop. I have since purchased a Dell desktop (love it!!!) and am much happier. If I had it to do over again I would buy a desktop at the beginning of school and use the laptop for whatever your school/portable needs are.

Incidentally, I think Case is a great school. I didn't think much of the preclinical years except that I really liked my classmates and LOVED the pass/fail system (wish it was still pass/fail). Third year, however, has been totally awesome and the clinical education is fantastic. I can't wait for 4th year when we get to design our entire year! It's going to be great.

Congratulations on your acceptance and best wishes on the rest of your road to medical school.

Looks like i'll be at Case too :) . I think all CWRU 2006'ers should post here to let yourself be known. And i think you know about the laptop specs by now (they were in the big packet they mailed).

I'm in class 05'. Our laptops our decent. I think we have 700 Pentium II or III, around 128 RAM, CD and disk drives. They are DELL inspiron something or other. I'm sure yours will be better than ours. They are giving everyone wireless internet cards next year as well because they are trying to go completely wireless in the near future. Anyway, if I were you I would wait to buy another laptop until you see what they are giving you. Unless you are hardcore, I'm sure it will be more than enough for the next four years.

It ought to be enough. Its a Dell Inspiron 4100, 1.13 Ghz, P4, 20 GB Hard drive, 256 MB RAM, 14.1 " active matrix screen, the wireless thingy, internal modem, etc.

Sound off CWRUers-to be!

I noticed the specs they sent us. Not that I'm a know-it-all when it comes to computers, but I'm relatively certain there's no such thing as a 1.13 GHz Pentium 4. They must have been referring to a Pentium III. Like it makes a huge difference anyway for the stuff we'll be using it for...just an fyi.

seemed weird to me too. I remember seeing the inspiron with a mobile pentium 3 if that means anything. You never know, maybe they're going the custom route :) I'll call and check

Seems the P-4 was a typo. Its a Mobile P-3 i think (from Dell's website). Makes no difference.

since this thread is a bit outdated, does anybody have the specs for the current (2003-04) m1's laptops? thanks guys