Question for dental students and dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinigami

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So just a quick question. I am not familiar with dental school and how it works. But I currently have a cousin who is supposed to be in dental school. She would be in her second year now. But she is at home. Right now. For the past month. She says it's part of her schooling. But I don't get it. Her school is in a completely different state. She lives in the country, practically the middle of nowhere so not really much around that area. Is there some kindof special rotation or something that allows students to take off for a month or so at a time as a second year or is she just lying?? I know that in medical and pharmacy, the first two years tend to be very academically focused on the hard sciences and the latter two years tend to be more clinical/rotations/what have you. So something didn't just add up, and I wasn't sure if it was because she was in dentistry. Just wanted someone to clarify this for me... thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So just a quick question. I am not familiar with dental school and how it works. But I currently have a cousin who is supposed to be in dental school. She would be in her second year now. But she is at home. Right now. For the past month. She says it's part of her schooling. But I don't get it. Her school is in a completely different state. She lives in the country, practically the middle of nowhere so not really much around that area. Is there some kindof special rotation or something that allows students to take off for a month or so at a time as a second year or is she just lying?? I know that in medical and pharmacy, the first two years tend to be very academically focused on the hard sciences and the latter two years tend to be more clinical/rotations/what have you. So something didn't just add up, and I wasn't sure if it was because she was in dentistry. Just wanted someone to clarify this for me... thanks!

I'm not a dental student yet, but I will be and I've looked at the curriculum. I've never heard of students getting time off in the middle of the second year. Maybe in third or fourth year for some externships or something. Like you said, the first and second year are pretty intense. Maybe there's some kind of spring break right now, but even that's a long shot. Just my opinon.

There was one student in my school who flunked out the first year but still hung out much later taking odd jobs in the city. Her family never knew because she never return to Virginia.

I have one patient who claimed she is going to Tufts Dental half time. Every weekend she's out drinking and partying. Now she's in Vietnam for 3 months. All her friends all called her 'doctor'. She only do treatment planning because she's a cosmetic dentist so she doesn't do the dirty work of filling or prep and temp.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your cousin is in a special status called "liar." No dental school will let you take off a month in the middle of a semester. She might be skipping class for a prolonged period of time. If I took a month off in the middle of my second year this would be an average of three to four tests per week missed. For me, this would have resulted in academic failure. People would never come back or finish if you let them set their own pace. Dental school stinks.

...... All her friends all called her 'doctor'. She only do treatment planning because she's a cosmetic dentist so she doesn't do the dirty work of filling or prep and temp.
????? :confused:

Does she go to BU? I know they have their APEX program that lets you do an externship for 6-8 weeks in (i think) 2nd and 3rd year.

At my school we get 4-5 weeks off during the second semester of our second year to study for boards. So her school might be doing something like that.

Actually, the D2's at my school are off right now and won't be back until early April.

yeah..most probably either she is off for her externship or to study for boards..

Does she go to BU? I know they have their APEX program that lets you do an externship for 6-8 weeks in (i think) 2nd and 3rd year.

She goes to school in NJ.

If it's an externship or studying time off, then that's cool. She's had a history of lying though, so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the replies!

Is she in school right now?
It could of just been winter break?