question for DOs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by phattyacid, Nov 25, 2002.

1. phattyacid

phattyacid New Member

Ok, so I applied to both DO and MD schools. I have been accepted to two DO schools and waitlisted so far from two MD schools. I was wondering if there are people out there like me who might be faced to decide between a DO and MD school. I appreciate the principals of osteopathic medicine, but part of me is concerned that a MD degree will offer more opportunity down the road. Is there a certain degree of prejudice against DOs in the medical community? I know that DOs usually go into primary care, and as of right now, I am planning to go into primary care as well. However, what if once I get into school I decide I want to specialize in something else. Will attending a DO school make it really hard to get a residency in a specialized field. Also, I hate to admit this, but it does bother me that certain people have stupid notions that an osteopathic school is kind of on a lower level than an allopathic school. I hate having to explain things and argue with ignorant people. I know it shouldn't bother me, but it does. Does anyone have any of the same issues or concerns. Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ultimately, the decision needs to be which med school suits you the best. Many DO schools don't push you into primary care. You need to weigh the benefits/negatives of each school in order to decide which will be the best fit for you.

As for prejudice in the medical community, you will always have a low level of professional prejudice, but keep in mind that most of the prejudice comes from pre-med students. Once a person becomes educated about the field of osteopathic medicine, they usually back off on the prejudicial thoughts and remarks. Just look at Alphabeta's recent apology in the "waste of time" thread.

Make sure that you choose a school for the curriculum and opportunities it offers, rather than the degree it offers.

Good luck,

WannabeDO

4. kappapiomega

kappapiomega Member
    7+ Year Member

You must also remember that your degree is not the deciding factor in residencies. If you are a competetive student (allo or osteo) then you will have many opportunities to chose from in residencies. Since there are many DOs in specialties, that obviously proves that you can do it as well. Choose whatever school you will be happiest in and be successful. It is truly up to you to form your future. Where you go to school, and what degree you have is really IMO a sidelight.
    Good luck in your decision process, and don't let different letters at the end of your name discourage you from choosing the school that FEELS good to you!!!!

Vanessa

5. Chisel

Chisel Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wait to hear from the MD schools. It doesn't sound like you are too excited about the idea of becoming an Osteopathic Physician.

My only other advice would be to read a bit more into Osteopathic Medicine and its history.

Also, do some research on the web about how many DO's are out there and how many are in fields other than Primary Care.

Most importantly, sit down with yourself and take a good long look at what you believe in outside of Medicine (i.e. How you appraoch your everyday matters). I did this before I thought about applying to Med school and I found out that many of my beliefs outside the field of Medicine are consistent with how Osteopathic Medicine is taught and how I will one day practice.

Hope this advice helps. Good Luck.

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you are unsure about becoming a DO then do yourself, and those others applying, a favor and go to an MD school.

You willl be happier and you will open a spot for a deserving individual who genuinely wants to become a DO.

Good luck to you.

7. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi,

I find your posts to be puzzling - since your posting history shows that you are/were interested in the DO application process as little as three months ago:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=407547#post407547

"Are professional schools', specifically law school, gpa's included in any of the calculations? I've dug through aacomas' site, but had no luck finding this info. I'm curious because someone posted earlier that their pod gpa will not be included."

And yet it appears that you have *already* gone through the application process - and been accepted?!?!

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=415665#post415665

"I paid OSU's $100 deposit back in '93 when I was accepted. A few months later I decided to go to grad school, told OSU, and they returned the $100 deposit. I thought that was pretty nice of them."

Law + grad school + dismissive postings in DO forums - you aren't that other poster Ls1502 - are you?

- Tae

8. San_Juan_Sun

San_Juan_Sun Professor of Life
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's a really clever straw man argument. Unfortunately, a quick check of the MSAR reveals that several DO schools have statistical averages above that of allo- schools. (Not dogging these allo- schools. I'm sure they provide great educations.)

About prejudice, phattyacid, I would check the Osteopathic forum. There are a couple of threads of people actually in medicine, and their thoughts on prejudice. I think you'll be surprised at what they think.

Lastly, about residencies: this is a tougher call. Across the board there aren't any hard or fast rules for DOs in ACGME residencies. Someare are said to be friendly to DOs, and others aren't. But the point is... it's mostly hearsay. Without question, if you are willing to work hard, and you have the "right stuff" to enter a paticular specialty, you're going to be able to match for a residency and obtain fellowships in whatever you desire. Best of luck to you.

9. Dr JPH

Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm not going to convince anybody of anything.

You have to do what's best for yourself.

There will always be two sides to every coin.

Just so happens my side comes up shinier every way I look at it...but that's my coin and my point of view.

Go with whatever road fits you best. In fact, someone today gave me a piece of advice about something that ended with this quote "Pick up the blanket, shake off all the sand, and then look at what you've got."

I think that's pretty good advice.

Proud to be a DO. (or as I like to say...MD with a little extra) ;)

10. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    mdjd,

All that is readily apparent is that you have a strong bias against osteopathy - which you characterize as 'truth'-telling. Your descending order of preference for medical schools clearly covets initials more than anything else, which is truly sad.

There is no certainty that where one is accepted and graduates from guarantees any level of ability or quality of education. To believe that one set of letters is superior to another is eqaully fallacious and also quite saddening.

In my present day job (heh), I have the opportunity to work with and observe MDs and DOs alike, and - quite honestly, the only difference I see comes from the individuals - not the letters behind their name.

I'm not sure whether you truly believe what you say, or are merely trying to bait people in this forum. *shrug*

I wish (sincerely), that you accomplish what you've set out to do. And if we encounter each other in our future professional lives, that perhaps you will have discovered by then that your original opinion was in many ways, extreme.

- Tae

11. metsn02

metsn02 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No need to pray about having to make that decision, because it will essentially be out of your hands. Since you have previously been accepted to a professional school and turned it down, you will have to indicate this on your primary application to both AMCAS and AACOMAS. So if you are indeed fortunate enough to be granted an interview, you will have to explain this very serious decision that you had made in the past. Something like this tells volumes to admissions committees about a person's character (see credibilty and reliability). You will soon find out that the windows that were open to you in 93 will have been effectively closed ten years later.

Sorry bro, but it looks like the off shore route is your sole ticket to the coveted two letters that you will undoubtedly plaster all over your license plates and credit cards. I find it hilarious that you claim to hold the "truth" about the osteopathic profession, yet you have probably never stepped foot in an ER as a volunteer to actually see what the medical profession is really like. Unfortunately there are many pre-med posers like you out there who claim to hold these so-called truths about medicine, when the medicine you really know is veiled behind false assumptions of wealth and prestige that have drawn you to a profession that requires selflessness and self-sacrifice. Enjoy the wake up call

12. Chisel

Chisel Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would respond to mdjd but as my very wise friend put it to me, "mdjd is not a misguided individual worth educating, but rather, an idiot."

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Chisel

13. Dr JPH

Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  14. group_theory

group_theory EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
    Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Reminds me of a funny story a DO told me.

While he was a surgical attending at MCP, several MD students from MCP/Hahnemann (now Drexel in the tradition of MCP/Hahnemann) were following him. During this one particular day, while they were rounding, they saw a group of PCOM students doing their rotations. For some strange reason, one of the MD med students said "Look at them doctor-wanna-be over there, they couldn't get into a real medical school!"

So the attending gives the student a strange look, and goes "You do know I'm a DO, don't you?"

:scared:

Hehe - it's hard to tell the difference between MDs and DOs if they are both in scrubs :D

In fact, it's hard to tell the difference between nurses, PAs, physicians et al. who wear scrubs.

Oh well

In terms of MD vs DO and residency, at HUP and CHOP, there is no bias between DO and MD. There is a bias against IMG. The downside is that if you graduated near the top of your class at the XYZ College of Osteopathic Medicine, they don't know what that means. However, the sames goes to graduates of YXZ College of Medicine too.

Don't worry though - they know about PCOM :clap:

15. jennij

jennij Member
    7+ Year Member

That's HILARIOUS! :laugh: