Question for Endo Residents -ADAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jason521

Reaction score
I am active duty army and plan to apply for endo residency outside of the army in 2023. I am currently deployed and have time to study for the ADAT. I see the ADAT is good for 2 years. Is it fine if I take it this August when I will be applying for 2023 cycle? I’m not sure if the “2 years” is exactly 2 or if it goes from the beginning of the test cycle.

Any general recommendations to become a better applicant? I joined AAE. Being in the Army (especially deployed), I haven’t had a ton of endo experience. I plan to turn that around when I return to the states though. Thanks for any advice! It’s tough relearning all this boards stuff 😂. If anyone has any good study material online send it my way please! It takes months to get any actual physical books out here :(

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, don’t take the ADAT unless there are programs you want that “require” it. If you go about your last couple of years in the military right preparing for Endo, you won’t need it.

Reactions: 2 users
Yea, don’t take the ADAT unless there are programs you want that “require” it. If you go about your last couple of years in the military right preparing for Endo, you won’t need it.
One detail I left out on accident... my school was pass/fail! So no gpa, no class rank. That is the only reason why I feel like I need the adat.

Members don't see this ad :)
One detail I left out on accident... my school was pass/fail! So no gpa, no class rank. That is the only reason why I feel like I need the adat.
I swear it’s just a box directors and chairs may have you check to reduce number of applications they have to go through. They look at rank/ GPA, experience/ resume, then recs. If you are pass fail, they are going to look at experience, resume, and recs. It’s my opinion, but I just don’t think the ADAT means anything. The older we get we all realize how ridiculous standardized tests are at measuring intelligence. Endo isn’t that much different than the GP world. The best clinicians I see aren’t necessarily the smartest ones, although everyone is very sharp. Sometimes the really smart ones show more interest in the didactics and aren’t as motivated clinically. So my point is you don’t need the ADAT to try and make yourself a better suited candidate in the eyes of an endodontist even if you were pass fail.

2 areas it could help is if you were bottom tier in DS and wanted to prove it was because you didn’t put much work into studying not because you were unintelligent, and two, if you are applying to programs known for academic prowess/ research (like a San Antonio) then you may want to consider it to set yourself apart. But you also better crush it.

Reactions: 2 users
I swear it’s just a box directors and chairs may have you check to reduce number of applications they have to go through. They look at rank/ GPA, experience/ resume, then recs. If you are pass fail, they are going to look at experience, resume, and recs. It’s my opinion, but I just don’t think the ADAT means anything. The older we get we all realize how ridiculous standardized tests are at measuring intelligence. Endo isn’t that much different than the GP world. The best clinicians I see aren’t necessarily the smartest ones, although everyone is very sharp. Sometimes the really smart ones show more interest in the didactics and aren’t as motivated clinically. So my point is you don’t need the ADAT to try and make yourself a better suited candidate in the eyes of an endodontist even if you were pass fail.

2 areas it could help is if you were bottom tier in DS and wanted to prove it was because you didn’t put much work into studying not because you were unintelligent, and two, if you are applying to programs known for academic prowess/ research (like a San Antonio) then you may want to consider it to set yourself apart. But you also better crush it.
Appreciate the advice!! It’s a little disheartening seeing the acceptance radios for endo residencies. Definitely want to do everything I can to get in first go.

There are a lot of really good applicants. But there are also a lot of sub par applicants. Students straight of school with just not much of a shot. And a lot of foreign applicants as well which only certain programs really cater to. So the numbers are slightly skewed. But yes, it’s still a very competitive process

Reactions: 1 user
I am active duty army and plan to apply for endo residency outside of the army in 2023. I am currently deployed and have time to study for the ADAT. I see the ADAT is good for 2 years. Is it fine if I take it this August when I will be applying for 2023 cycle? I’m not sure if the “2 years” is exactly 2 or if it goes from the beginning of the test cycle.

Any general recommendations to become a better applicant? I joined AAE. Being in the Army (especially deployed), I haven’t had a ton of endo experience. I plan to turn that around when I return to the states though. Thanks for any advice! It’s tough relearning all this boards stuff 😂. If anyone has any good study material online send it my way please! It takes months to get any actual physical books out here :(
would you be able to specialize through the army? I would take the ADAT if I were you only because all your stats are PASS/FAIL these programs want to "quantify" you in some way. I also know it may be hard but stay in contact with directors if you can? sometimes they pic from names in these app cycle they recognize.

would you be able to specialize through the army? I would take the ADAT if I were you only because all your stats are PASS/FAIL these programs want to "quantify" you in some way. I also know it may be hard but stay in contact with directors if you can? sometimes they pic from names in these app cycle they recognize.
I signed up for the adat! Time to study as much as possible. I could apply for army endo residency, but I’d rather not add to my adso if I’m being honest.

I signed up for the adat! Time to study as much as possible. I could apply for army endo residency, but I’d rather not add to my adso if I’m being honest.
Ohh ok I see. Well good luck stick with it. It will be worth it.

Reactions: 1 user