Question for ER/acute care docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was asked to give a one hour presentation about psychiatry to ER docs. What do ER docs and other physicians working in the acute care setting want to know about mental health? How to work with difficult patients? How to assess suicidal ideation? How to manage alcohol and substance intoxication?

Members don't see this ad.

The three ideas you mentioned, EPs do on a daily basis. Pretty much bread and butter.

You may talk about some of the antipsychotics you like and why you like them. You could talk about what you as a psychiatrist are looking for in an acute visit that helps you determine acuity as it pertains to need for follow up. You could talk about what we as ED docs could be doing to make your life easier when you see these patients as an inpatient after they've been admitted for their acute psychosis/suicidality. From a military side you could talk about malingering from a psychiatric stand point. How do best differentiate the truley psychotic/manic/suicidal from the E3 wanting a ticket home.

Just a few simple thoughts very much off the top of my head.

Plus I see inner city civilians and I presume you are seeking input from the military side since this is in fact a military forum.:D

I find the most difficult psych patients to manage are those that don't qualify for a psych admission. Depressed but not quite suicidal. The agitated, autistic 16 year old whose parents don't know what to do with him etc.

I also like the idea of exploring the line of which SI patients need a psych consult....felt suicidal earlier, but not anymore and now contracts for safety? Had a plan earlier, but now feels better? Felt suicidal when BAL was 200, but no longer etc.