Question For Everyone Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We're all going to get hit with this at some point (secondaries, interview), but I thought I'd put a small spin on it (since many people seem to answer "I'd get a PhD and do research"):

If you couldn't be a doctor or work in the field of science, what would you do for a career?

I would get my music career going - I would probably look for an agent, spend the next 3-5 years playing concerts locally and regionally, and try to get a record deal after developing a small following. That might actually be harder to do than get into med school...

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by rxfudd:
•We're all going to get hit with this at some point (secondaries, interview), but I thought I'd put a small spin on it (since many people seem to answer "I'd get a PhD and do research"):

If you couldn't be a doctor or work in the field of science, what would you do for a career?•

I'd pretty much fall back on the list of careers I was considering before medicine: drawing, writing, or history. I've been told I should draw cartoons for a living: not very stable but FUN. :) I also love teaching so I might get a PhD in history and teach. Or I might move onto writing or something weird like that as I've also somehow gotten a few poems published... My options are pretty open but I think medicine would by far be the most challenging, profound, and never-boring career.

I wouldn't say get a PhD and do research to the original question. I think I might look at pharmaceuticals and go into marketing. I want to be close to medicine, and that sounds like a pretty good job plus you get to travel a little. That is off the top of my head, anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I taught a high school chemistry class last year and loved it. I also coached the wrestling team, so I would probably get my teaching certificate and become part of a high school community.

I'd be a graphic designer. I like making visually-stimulating material, like ads or magazine layouts. But I wouldn't be helping out anyone, so I don't know how long that'll keep me fulfilled.

My real impossible dream is to be a Broadway singer. But, alas, I don't have the talent or the training.

I'd just keep on working as a paramedic. great schedule and good pay for a single guy.

I'd probably get a business degree. Wait out the economy and then make some serious bank once it gets hot again.