Question for G.P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AT747

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I want to thank you for taking the time in responding to my question that I posted few days ago...

G.P, I still I have some questions about pathology.

1. How long does it take to become a pathologist?
2. How much does it cost to become a pathologist?
3. How many hours does a typical pathologist work in a week ?
4. Do they also work night shifts and weekends?
5. How's the job market?
6. And how much they make?

Members don't see this ad.

1. How long does it take to become a pathologist?
-4 years college, 4 years medical school, 4 years of pathology residency. (if want to subspecialize one or two more years)

2. How much does it cost to become a pathologist?
-cost of 4 years of college and medical school ($100,000 or so)

3. How many hours does a typical pathologist work in a week ?
-depends on what job that pathologist does and the specific practice. Anywhere from 40 to 70 hours a week would probably be a good range.

4. Do they also work night shifts and weekends?
-generally no, but may be "on call" for emergencies and questions. Some places may work on Sat if they have open operating rooms.

5. How's the job market?
-About as good as most other specialties. I don't know any unemployed pathologists. Path does require you to be more flexable when looking for a job just because there is not as many jobs available around the country at any one time. This is because it is a smaller specialty then family practice, medicine and such.

6. And how much they make?
-Any where from 80s to 300s+ depending on the specific job. General private practice pathologist once they are make partnership will make 200+.

Good luck. Sounds like you have a long way to go, you don't need to decide what specialty you want to do at this point. Most people change there mind during medical school anyway.