Question for Greencard/Permanent Resident Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderBoy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My greencard interview is in July, when I expect to be getting it. But I just had a question, Have any of the medschools you applied to want a copy of the greencard during the application process. I want to apply early, so I was wondering if I could just put down greencard holder even though I don't have it right in my hand. Also I have been in the U.S. for close to a decade only now is my case coming through. Finished all my premeds and taking the august MCAT. Thanks for your response.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied with the same situation (permanent resident with green card in process) and there was no hassle from any school. I would say just remember your Alien number. Also,to resolve all matters, you can have INS stamp your passport to validate your permanent residency while your green card is being processed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools will want a copy of the card with the secondary or when you go for an interview. I can't remember if the AMCAS wants your alien reg number or not, but you do have to click the "Permanent Resident" box. In terms of ADMISSIONS, i don't think being a PR is any hindrance. Good luck. --Trek

it is illegal to falsify your residency status -- even if you know you are up for a change of status. Apllications might not ask for a number but remember you sign a statement that everything you wrote is correct to your knowledge AT the time of application. it might be better for you to wait for the interview, know for sure that everything goes smoothly and only when u have a stamp in the passport (no need to wait for the physical card as you will have the 'A#' by then).

Of the schools I applied to (only five), only temple asked me to bring my green card for my interview. I did not, and was accepted two weeks post interview. However, while you might be able to go through the interview process without proof of permanent residence, I doubt that you will be able to receive fin aid or matriculate without it. So get started with it.

I dont know if anybody else mentioned it but aamcas paper application very clearly states that you can only write your ststus as permanent resident if you have the card not if it is in process. But I dont think it should be a problem because a whole bunch of private schools that dont care about greencard as long as you can show them that you can pay for the school . There schools that accept international students you can apply to those schools too.
Goodluck :)