Question for HPSP Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoosier Army Dentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a HPSP student who is graduating this year (2014). I do not think I want to do an AEGD but I would still like to get some experience that does not include amalgam fillings. I know some Army dentists that worked back in the 70s that were able to get some experience with oral surgery (doing 3rd molars and a lot of other extractions). Does anyone know if this can still happen? I want to try to get more experience with extractions, endo, etc. If I express interest in any of these, do you think I could get more experience? Thanks to anyone who can provide some info.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a HPSP student who is graduating this year (2014). I do not think I want to do an AEGD but I would still like to get some experience that does not include amalgam fillings. I know some Army dentists that worked back in the 70s that were able to get some experience with oral surgery (doing 3rd molars and a lot of other extractions). Does anyone know if this can still happen? I want to try to get more experience with extractions, endo, etc. If I express interest in any of these, do you think I could get more experience? Thanks to anyone who can provide some info.

Why not do an AEGD? Problems solved.

I am considering an AEGD. The problem is that my wife wants to go to school and I didn't want to have to move around a lot while she was in school. I heard that you have to move around more if you do the AEGD. Is this true? Also, after you are done with the AEGD do you get to make another "dream list" in order to "choose" where you want to be stationed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not do an AEGD? Problems solved.
I am considering an AEGD. The problem is that my wife wants to go to school and I didn't want to have to move around a lot while she was in school. I heard that you have to move around more if you do the AEGD. Is this true? Also, after you are done with the AEGD do you get to make another "dream list" in order to "choose" where you want to be stationed?

Hello,

Yes, you do get to make another "dream list" once you graduate. It is great experience to do a one year. If you are not interested in that, why not do a 2 year? That would stabilize you for an additional year.

Hello,

Yes, you do get to make another "dream list" once you graduate. It is great experience to do a one year. If you are not interested in that, why not do a 2 year? That would stabilize you for an additional year.
I have thought a lot about both of them but my wife has been working hard to get her pre-reqs done so she can apply for PA school. Which is generally 2 to 3 years. I would like to be somewhere for that amount of time so she could finish. I was hoping for Ft Bragg or one of the bases in the D.C. area because they are close to a few PA schools for her to apply to. Would the army want to move me around more if I have an AEGD?

Hello,

Not necessarily. You would have to go to one of the locations of the AEGD. However, there is a 2 year program at Bragg. You may be required to move upon completion of the program. If you applied in school, you could potentially go to Bragg for a year just to work, then do the 2 year program, which is a total of 3 years.

W
Hello,

Yes, you do get to make another "dream list" once you graduate. It is great experience to do a one year. If you are not interested in that, why not do a 2 year? That would stabilize you for an additional year.[/quote. If you have to go military I would suggest airforce. Much higher class than the army! They take all the dentists who have low GPA. Airforce has much larger budget and thus nicer facilities... They are much more selective of they docs they bring on board!!! The army will take anybody they can get.