Question for M1's: How Many Qbank Questions Have You Completed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greentealeaves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on a traditional curriculum and have done around 900 questions. I've done 400 from Kaplan, 200 from USMLE RX, and 300 from Amboss.

I've found Kaplan to have the best overlap with my traditional curriculum. I've found that Amboss is usually too difficult and RX questions tend to have a heavy dose of pathology in them (which we haven't covered yet). How manyy questions have you guys done and from which Qbanks? What are your impressions of the Q's that you have done so far from the various Qbanks?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on a traditional curriculum and have done around 900 questions. I've done 400 from Kaplan, 200 from USMLE RX, and 300 from Amboss.

I've found Kaplan to have the best overlap with my traditional curriculum. I've found that Amboss is usually too difficult and RX questions tend to have a heavy dose of pathology in them (which we haven't covered yet). How manyy questions have you guys done and from which Qbanks? What are your impressions of the Q's that you have done so far from the various Qbanks?

None. Saving qbanks for the beginning of M2. I would have made it through most of Zanki by that point.

Reactions: 3 users
Don’t waste your time with those Qbanks. Go right to the source, Uworld. There’s a reason it’s more expensive than the others.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm going to start up USMLERx soon. I'm planning on getting Kaplan for this summer, and already have Amboss, which I'll use for supplementary practice during my clinical year. I'll be getting UWorld as well which I plan to go through at least twice.

At this point, I'm just trying to get as good of a knowledge foundation by maturing all of Zanki and going through other Anki decks.

Don’t waste your time with those Qbanks. Go right to the source, Uworld. There’s a reason it’s more expensive than the others.

I’m saving UWorld for dedicated. More questions is better than doing the same ones more than once. I’m using rx and amboss. Mostly amboss now. It’s much better than rx for studying for the nbme.

Reactions: 2 users

Questions banks are great. I wouldn’t use uworld during M1. Kaplan and Rx are good M1 banks

@Matthew9Thirtyfive I've tried doing Amboss and found it way too difficult. Have you found it to be a useful resource? Are you guys on a traditional curriculum? If so, how do you screen for questions to get a good hit rate on questions that you can actually do?

Thanks for answering all these questions!

How many questions do you all average a week? I'm trying to slowly incorporate them into my schedule. I'm afraid at this point i'll be only getting 40% correct. What is typical percentage correct when starting out?

At our school, step score was highly correlated with number of Qbank questions completed and reviewed. The R-squared was like 0.8+ and the p-value was <0.0001.

Do more questions, get a higher score.

I made it a goal to do 10,000 questions before Step 1. Used USMLERx, Kaplan, and UWorld. Ended up doing 10,087 (still have the spreadsheet, haha). Scored very well.

Reactions: 1 users
@Matthew9Thirtyfive I've tried doing Amboss and found it way too difficult. Have you found it to be a useful resource? Are you guys on a traditional curriculum? If so, how do you screen for questions to get a good hit rate on questions that you can actually do?

Thanks for answering all these questions!

We are in a systems curriculum. So I go under basic science exams and then select the organ system we’re in. There are some hard questions on amboss for sure, but I learn something even from the really difficult ones. You can also lower the difficulty. I find that the amboss questions does a good job of preparing me for the types of questions on the nbme.

0 so far this semester. I feel overwhelmed by my class material already and had no time to look into the board Qbanks.

Although I did <100 for last semester for anatomy and histology, and felt like it was beyond the scope of M1 year. Maybe I am still not used to board-style questions (i.e. many lab values, long stems)

@OnePunchBiopsy What questions did you do to get you to the 10,000? I think UWorld has under 3,000, Kaplan has 2,000, and RX has around 2,500. That's around 7,500. Where did you get the additional 2,500?

Which questions do you think were most helpful (besides UWorld)?

Also, what was your score if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks in advance for your help!

@OnePunchBiopsy What questions did you do to get you to the 10,000? I think UWorld has under 3,000, Kaplan has 2,000, and RX has around 2,500. That's around 7,500. Where did you get the additional 2,500?

Which questions do you think were most helpful (besides UWorld)?

Also, what was your score if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Long story short, I repeated questions in subjects I was doing poorly in, and reviewed questions I got wrong.

Rx=2,597 (must have repeated some)
Kaplan = 3,719 (definitely did more than 1 pass through here)
Uworld = 3,771 (some repeats)
Total = 10,087

I got a 240, not that it matters anymore.

Regarding best Qbank:

Uworld >>Kaplan>>>>Rx

I used Rx at the end of first year just to drill the buzz words from first aid. Kaplan and Uworld, IMO, were more integrative.

Amboss didn't exist back then.

Reactions: 1 users
How do you guys suggest doing qbank questions for an M1? I just started doing some USMLERX cardio questions (probably around 60) since we’re in the cardio block. Should I try to do some questions every day?

How do you guys suggest doing qbank questions for an M1? I just started doing some USMLERX cardio questions (probably around 60) since we’re in the cardio block. Should I try to do some questions every day?

I waited until the week before the midterm, but some people do them a little every day. I find it’s just easier to wait so that I’m not making sure I’m only getting questions that cover what we’ve gone over so far. But I’m lazy like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.