Question for my American friends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess this is adding to the Columbia Vs. Temple thread I made earlier, but its specific to a different part of my dilemma, so I thought to start a new thread.

I am pursuing a MPH degree for sure with the hopes in the future of having a private practice, and doing some work part-time in the policy field, or something similar either with the government, WHO, PAHO, or a university.

SOOO...my question is.....woudl going to Columbia make a huge difference in achieving these goals? Or if I goto a lesser name MPH like Temple, but do good work, would that be just as good? Coming from Canada, I dont know the impact of the Ivy League label, but Ive heard its large. So would it be worth spending the extra $100 Gs to get the slight advantage of this MPH field, or does the actual work you do on yoru MPH mean more than the name of your school???

Members don't see this ad.

Any dental student can be a good dentist after any dental school. However, if you are interested in politics (policy maker), big name school, like Columbia, is definitely necessary.

"It may interest you to know that U.S. News and World Report recently ranked (Novemeber 2003) the Tufts MPH program as the number 1 community health program in the country, surpassing the assessment of the Medical College of Wisconsin, Northwestern University, Oregon State University and the University of Rochester, among all programs offering masters degrees and doctoral degrees accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health."

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, lemme clarify....sorry!

I probably wont get into government work......more into either non-governmental organizations (NGO) or University academic work.

Originally posted by avingupta
I guess this is adding to the Columbia Vs. Temple thread I made earlier, but its specific to a different part of my dilemma, so I thought to start a new thread.

I am pursuing a MPH degree for sure with the hopes in the future of having a private practice, and doing some work part-time in the policy field, or something similar either with the government, WHO, PAHO, or a university.

SOOO...my question is.....woudl going to Columbia make a huge difference in achieving these goals? Or if I goto a lesser name MPH like Temple, but do good work, would that be just as good? Coming from Canada, I dont know the impact of the Ivy League label, but Ive heard its large. So would it be worth spending the extra $100 Gs to get the slight advantage of this MPH field, or does the actual work you do on yoru MPH mean more than the name of your school???
Man, Mr. Gupta, I think you underestimate Temple vs Columbia. I dont know if anyone else agrees or not but IMHO Temple has a reputation that meets if not exceeds Columbia's on the dental school front at least. Plus, I heard Temple treats their students extremely well, a close knit school you might say.

If you want an Ivy League name school, go to Yale's MPH program. Friend of mine did and he went to UCSF med school afterwards.

Its not that Im underestimating Temple dental wise....both schools are at the opposite ends when it comes to dental, one is excellent at GP, one is excellent at specialities.....its the MPH part that concerns me. In Canada we have nothing like the Ivy League, so I dont know what this implies. Like I said before, I want to work with the WHO later on, and people tell me the Ivy League is all about connections....however, these are the same people who are extremely superficial, so its not a suprise that they are praising Columbia so much...I just dont know much about it....

Hey Dream.....may I ask where I can find these rankings?

Originally posted by avingupta
Hey Dream.....may I ask where I can find these rankings?

No idea. I was just quoting a letter that was sent to me about tufts' MPH program.

if you really want to get your MPH, you should do it either before you start dental school or after b/c you likely won't have time during school to start pursuing other degrees. So it really doesn't matter which dental school you go to, when you get your MPH, you can go to tufts or columbia or whatever and still get the "ivy league rep" of the MPH.

if you really want to get your MPH, you should do it either before you start dental school or after b/c you likely won't have time during school to start pursuing other degrees. So it really doesn't matter which dental school you go to, when you get your MPH, you can go to tufts or columbia or whatever and still get the "ivy league rep" of the MPH.

If this was true, then why is Temple offering the combined DMD/MPH degree next year? Obviously its more work, but it must be doable...