Question for non-US AMG matching advanced specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kryxia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian medical student at a US institution and interested in applying anesthesia on H1b. Many residency programs that I've researched, with respect to IMG H1b sponsorship, require ECFMG certification and Step 3 scores, but none addressed specifically how the application process differs for a foreign AMG (presumably because there are so few of us?).

From what I gather, the default plan seems to be to use my OPT on a transitional/prelim program, take the step 3 during that time, and then proceed to apply for an advanced anesthesia residency. However, I'm just curious whether it is possible to negotiate with categorical anesthesia programs (or programs any advanced specialty in general) during my M4 match season such that I can complete my first year on OPT with them and then transition to H1b at that same institution afterwards?

Support for international applicants feels limited at my school and I appreciate any insight SDN can offer.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can absolutely work as a categorical intern on OPT, and then transition to an H1b in the same institution. Either programs will or will not allow you to do this. I doubt there's much room for negotiation. You could contact programs prior to applying to inquire, or you could apply and then ask when you get an interview offer.

You can absolutely work as a categorical intern on OPT, and then transition to an H1b in the same institution. Either programs will or will not allow you to do this. I doubt there's much room for negotiation. You could contact programs prior to applying to inquire, or you could apply and then ask when you get an interview offer.

Do you know if it is hard to apply for H1b after OPT? If employer doesn't sponsor H1b, then you will be stuck between OPT to H1b, isn't it right?

Do you know if it is hard to apply for H1b after OPT? If employer doesn't sponsor H1b, then you will be stuck between OPT to H1b, isn't it right?

If the residency doesn't sponsor H1B and you indicate that you require it on your application, then they should automatically screen you out.

If the residency doesn't sponsor H1B and you indicate that you require it on your application, then they should automatically screen you out.

I am not sure what happened. I indicated that I need H1b sponsor in my application. I got some interview emails. However, when I sent email to ask them if they sponsor H1b and they told me they don't sponsor any H1b or even J1. Do you know why it happened like that? Could it be possible that I am a AMG and they didn't automatically screen me out and employers treat me as an IMG? Many thanks for your helps!

Sounds like they made a mistake. It happens.

If you are hired on an OPT and your employer doesn't offer H visas, you should plan on a J visa. Or, don't rank that program so it's not an issue.