Question for NSU students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MagnumDR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen it on this website before, and now I am dealing with the problem of getting a hold of someone in the admissions office. This is starting to tick me off. They NEVER answer and DO NOT return messages. I'm trying to decide on whether or not to attend and when I call other schools they are so helpful and always return calls. What am I supposed to gather from this? NSU is in top 2 choices and am having a hard time feeling good about the lack of concern for incoming students. So my question is basically...what is it like when you are a student there? Are there problems with the administration that makes life as a student frustrating(besides the attendance/dress code crap)? Is this the same across all departments that nobody gives a rats, because they obviously could care less in admissions?. I had a good time at my interview and was impressed with the school. Was all of that too good to be true? Help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is a hot topic, and several of my classmates would probably rather that I said nothing...but that's not really fair.

You will put up with some total bu//**** here. I don't think anyone would dispute that. However, many people would argue over how much we put up with compared to other schools, and how much of it is "oh, it's just med school."

I am optimistic that the class of 2008 will be making some lasting positive changes, primarily because we are approaching things differently than previous classes. I'd rather not go into more specific detail on that...

All things considered, I'm glad I chose to come here. My classmates/friends are some of the most wonderful people I've ever met. This is THE BEST environment you could possibly want to be in to study medicine, and I'm not just referring to the weather.

Supposedly med school is hell for everyone for the 1st two years, so I don't know, maybe we're shooting par here.

I'm sure Robz (our SGA president-elect), will have something to say. :D

-NS

p.s. BTW, what is the other school on your list, and have you been accepted there?

NotShorty said:
This is THE BEST environment you could possibly want to be in to study medicine, and I'm not just referring to the weather.
Just what is it that makes it the best environment? I'd be interested to know those things as well. The other school I am interested is OSU-COM and yes I have an acceptance there too. I really like both schools and it's not about which one is "better" as much as it is I want to find the right fit. I'm not so naive to think any school is without issues. I just dont want to end up in a place where B.S. overshadows the experience.
Oh yeah, and thanks for responding despite what fellow classmates may wish.

Members don't see this ad :)
MagnumDR said:
Just what is it that makes it the best environment? I'd be interested to know those things as well. The other school I am interested is OSU-COM and yes I have an acceptance there too. I really like both schools and it's not about which one is "better" as much as it is I want to find the right fit. I'm not so naive to think any school is without issues. I just dont want to end up in a place where B.S. overshadows the experience.
Oh yeah, and thanks for responding despite what fellow classmates may wish.

Ok...let me add some light to your response. From a second year perspective, like all schools, we go through hell. I would reccommend attending Oklahoma State University COM. Not only are they affiliated with a big public school but their board passing rate is exceptional. Our board passing rate is kind of up in the air. Go to a place that will prepare you for the boards from the get go. Many residency program directors have said that boards are the number one thing they look at, besides the fact of whether or not you rotated through their institution. The friends I have there at OSU-COM say nothing but good things on how they teach and prepare you.

Actually, that's a good question because you are making me re-think my initial response.

By environment I was referring to the "climate of positivity/camaraderie" among the students, but I think that many schools could claim that they have that as well. Of course, very few schools have that bond PLUS a short drive to the beach...but that should not be why you choose one school over another.

Personally, I would have been a fool to not leave Ohio, and the shift in temperatures is one of the biggest reasons I have no regrets about doing so. My Saturdays were spent studying by the pool (it's a bit too chilly now) and you see innumerable beautiful females every day. Compare that to students who are up to their neck in snow for months at a time. It is much easier to maintain a positive attitude here despite any hardships.

Doogie makes a good point though. I have heard from an NSU M2 that by having the "Health Professions Division," some of our academic departments are spread too thin, and it is therefore difficult to tailor to each Profession's respective board exam.

I agree. More needs to be done about this

For example, BioChem is taught to the Med, Dental, Pharm, (etc?) classes by the same 4 teachers. I'd be lying if I said I was thrilled with our BioChem department, and I really don't think I am "adequately prepared" for the boards.

Plenty of students graduate from NSU and go on to happy and successful careers, so this place is clearly not as disastrous as some would have you believe.

I find myself constantly standing up for my school because of how much potential it has. I'll repeat what I said in another thread: it would be remarkably easy for this school to be one of the best in the country.

Keep an eye on the NSU class of 2008 and 2009 threads. Myself and others always have honest accounts to give. If you feel pressured to make a decision on where to attend...I'd honestly say to pay deposits at both schools. You have way more time to decide than you realize, and the extra cash spent is just a drop in the bucket in the long run.

NS

....ITS ONLY THE BEGINNING.....

NotShorty said:
Actually, that's a good question because you are making me re-think my initial response.

By environment I was referring to the "climate of positivity/camaraderie" among the students, but I think that many schools could claim that they have that as well. Of course, very few schools have that bond PLUS a short drive to the beach...but that should not be why you choose one school over another.

Personally, I would have been a fool to not leave Ohio, and the shift in temperatures is one of the biggest reasons I have no regrets about doing so. My Saturdays were spent studying by the pool (it's a bit too chilly now) and you see innumerable beautiful females every day. Compare that to students who are up to their neck in snow for months at a time. It is much easier to maintain a positive attitude here despite any hardships.

Doogie makes a good point though. I have heard from an NSU M2 that by having the "Health Professions Division," some of our academic departments are spread too thin, and it is therefore difficult to tailor to each Profession's respective board exam.

I agree. More needs to be done about this

For example, BioChem is taught to the Med, Dental, Pharm, (etc?) classes by the same 4 teachers. I'd be lying if I said I was thrilled with our BioChem department, and I really don't think I am "adequately prepared" for the boards.

Plenty of students graduate from NSU and go on to happy and successful careers, so this place is clearly not as disastrous as some would have you believe.

I find myself constantly standing up for my school because of how much potential it has. I'll repeat what I said in another thread: it would be remarkably easy for this school to be one of the best in the country.

Keep an eye on the NSU class of 2008 and 2009 threads. Myself and others always have honest accounts to give. If you feel pressured to make a decision on where to attend...I'd honestly say to pay deposits at both schools. You have way more time to decide than you realize, and the extra cash spent is just a drop in the bucket in the long run.

NS

I'm curious as to what exactly the dress code/attendance policies are at NSU?

Careofme said:
....ITS ONLY THE BEGINNING.....

Ok, gee golly thanks for the great feedback. The beginning of school for me, everything's going to get much better? The beginning of the crap I'm going to put up with from the administration? ...from the career? Everything's peachy after second year?

Ambiguity is fun, but how about a response that contributes some clear, concise, and intelligent opinion(s)?

The dress code is nothing to be afraid of. Men can dress in shirt/tie and slacks, women can get away with almost anything tasteful (although some choose to tip-toe to the edge of that line, to my great pleasure).

A vast majority of the time, I wear scrubs. It's like pajamas all the time. You can get away with wearing T-shirts with scrub bottoms, although I would expect that they'll start cracking down on that...

Attendance policy is a bigger deal than I thought it would be. If you don't know anything about it, you probably haven't applied yet, so with any luck it will be gone by the time you get here. Any number of threads have info about it. Try some of the posts from the past few weeks of NSU class of 2008 to start.

NS