Question for NYCOM ppl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know whether commuting to NYCOM from home (Dix Hills) would be worth the money I'd save if I didnt rent an apt somewhere in Glen Cove. Anyone have to commute half an hour or more to NYCOM ? Was it comfortable or really hectic. My commute would be about half an hour to 45 minutes due to the slow traffic moving from suffolk to nassau. The only good thing in this would be home cooked food. NYCOM ppl help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i'll be a 1st-yr in august at nycom, but i've already got some experience as i'm taking the BSSP program here for the summer.

i also live with family (in queens) with the same 30 min. commute as you. if you've got a car, can get on the road early in the morning (say, 6-6.30A) and leave late at night (say, after 9P), then traffic is pretty much a non-issue. besides, one can never study at home.

and u save some cash and get a warm meal at night.

anyway, i'll be commuting.

It's a tough one. First of all, ask yourself if you can live at home while going to medical school. If you can, then you've gotta find out more about how the traffic is everyday from Dix Hills to Old Westbury. Also, you'll definitely hit traffic going home if you leave at rush hour, so you'll probably have to get used to staying at school until late. If you think that you can handle those things then you should be fine living at home. It's a definite savings of a LOT of money and good ol home cooking is always good.

I'm a 4th year now and I live with my parents in East Massapequa. I think I am still better off living at home for med school. Eventually, when I start internship/residency, I don't want to live at home nor still be on the island. I believe living w/ parents for med school is almost like a scholarship when you think of it. You get healthy home cooked meals everyday, you pay no rent, and you saving lots of money having to live on Long Island. As we all know, LI is so expensive to live in. Finding a place to rent on LI is very expensive on top of that. Dix Hills is a long drive but if you leave early, you will beat the traffic. It tooks me 25-35 minutes to get to NYCOM. I had to make sure I left the house early.

I think try living at home first. Save money whenever it is feasibly possible. NYCOM tuition seems to be rising a thousand bucks every year!