question for NYCOM students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmv10

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent my applications late this round (about November). I didn't get accepted to NYCOM this year, and I'm planning to re-apply. Can anyone give me advice? Is there someone who applied then re-applied successfully the following year who has some ideas? I called the admissions office last week, and they told me to call back in August but not to send a primary application just yet, which makes me nervous. Thanks!
~Jen

Members don't see this ad.

jmv10 said:
I sent my applications late this round (about November). I didn't get accepted to NYCOM this year, and I'm planning to re-apply. Can anyone give me advice? Is there someone who applied then re-applied successfully the following year who has some ideas? I called the admissions office last week, and they told me to call back in August but not to send a primary application just yet, which makes me nervous. Thanks!
~Jen

You might benefit from visiting the campus for a scheduled tour or open house. Ask questions so you become known as a serious, interested applicant. This may help when they see your name again.
As far as the suggestion not to send a primary application yet, you may want to wait until you can visit the school first.

That's a great idea; thanks for the reply. I was actually thinking of visiting one Sunday when I was in Queens a couple weekends ago, but my friend and I didn't end up going. I didn't want to just "drop in." But an open house would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
apply to nyit nutrition program i hear it helpsw

thanks for the input.. one of the reasons i'm specifically interested in NYCOM in the first place is for their joint DO/nutrition program.

from what i hear the nutrition plan is not that great....

If youre talking about the cafeteria, your right, its not that great at all. The MS program though I havent heard any negatives about, other than that unless you go into FP or Ped's it not really that useful. (In that its not much of an advantage for residency placement.)

Cowboy DO said:
If youre talking about the cafeteria, your right, its not that great at all. The MS program though I havent heard any negatives about, other than that unless you go into FP or Ped's it not really that useful. (In that its not much of an advantage for residency placement.)

Have you heard anything about the DO/MBA program? Is it beneficial? I was thinking of applying for that...

BTW, did you know we have access to the match lists from 1999-2003 on the NYCOM website? :thumbup:

I am also looking into the joint MBA program; although, I would prefer an MPH program, which NYCOM doesn't offer. I am also interested in global outreach and wondered if NYCOM promotes this at all.

JMV10 -- WHAT ARE YOUR STATS? Are you waitlist? thanks.

my stats are not that great. i didn't declare my major as biology until the end of my sophomore year. then at the beginning of my junior year i went abroad for a semester to australia, so for the rest of my year and a half i crammed in science classes and took physics and organic I and II over different summers... i graduated a year ago, took the MCAT once last summer, and started applying then. i am on the waitlist for NSU-COM in florida and did not get an interview at NYCOM this year.

GPA: 3.0
MCAT: 28
shadowed 1 DO
i currently work as a teacher's aide for high school kids with disabilities.

i also traveled to south africa for 2 weeks with the national youth leadership forum "mission on medicine" this january, which got me more interested in global outreach.

28 and not even an interview??
damn knowing nycom they prob lost your application

Lowbudgt said:
28 and not even an interview??
damn knowing nycom they prob lost your application

It's true... I had to send them my financial aid packet three times before they told me my file was complete! I mean, I used their own business envelopes!

I remember when I interviewed, they kept telling me that my LOR file was incomplete, when FedEx's tracking system showed me the recipient's signatures confirming it was delivered on time. I think they just need to hire more people to do filing. :laugh:

well, 28 is o.k. and my GPA is :thumbdown: plus i applied late. i was shocked to get an interview at all!! now NSU-COM is screwing me cause one of the Dr.'s after my interview told me they'd "see me in august," and they were very encouraging. it's better that i had a chance to think while i wait for an answer from them though; i think NYCOM is where i should be.