Question for OHSU students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sKorpia

Endless
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not scheduled to interview until early April, but I'll be passing through Portland this weekend and I wanted to know if there's anything on campus or around the campus that I should see/check out (i.e. hospitals, local eateries, etc.). Oh, and a good place for breakfast would be nice . . .

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Mother's Bistro on SW 3rd downtown for breakfast. If you have a car / renting a car then Pix Patisseriae on Division and 34th for all your French baked good needs. Little Wing in the Pearl District near the painfully cool NW 23rd area. There is an Andean restauraunt kind a sort a across the street from Little Wing. The NW 23rd area is kind of fun to walk around and window shop / shop at. On SE 300 Grand avenue there is Niklauses, really good Lebanese food.

BTW, the city is divided east and west by the Willamette river and north and south by Burnside Ave. If you know where you are staying I could maybe be more specific. :)

I don't go there but my SO does. Maybe he'll pop his head in here if he gets a break from his medicine rotation. Portland is a wonderful town! There are so many incredible places to eat, it's hard to know where to begin. There's public transport in Portland but it would probably be easier to rent a car. It's not too hard to navigate around Portland and it's very well labeled. And Furrball, we've been to almost every place you mentioned. great choices. Have you been to Genies cafe for breakfast? God alone knows where it is (I know where nothing is in Portland). I also love Paley's Place for dinner. And we also just checked out the Douglas Firr for a late dinner and it was very cool. I LOVE Portland.

-end slightly drunken monologue about portland-

I don't go to OHSU, but I'm from Portland and was accepted there. All of the places mentioned above are great recommendations!!! As for something a little different, if you have time, I would recommend going to see the campus. Two main reasons for doing this:

1. Go walk around Doernbechers Childrens Hospital. It's such a wonderfully designed space, and it will really make you fall in love with the school

2. Get to know your way around!!! I'm guessing that the tram construction is still underway (they are building a tram that will run from campus -on the hill- to near the riverfront -at the bottom of the hill-, very neat idea) and that can make getting around campus as a first timer a pretty confusing experience. Parking is really hard and very in demand, and so if you're going to be driving to your interview you may want to inquire at the security gate as to where they allow visitors to park, then visit that parking lot and see how long it takes to get to the admissions office.

Hope you like it! I was very close to accepting their offer, I loved everything about the school. It just came down to what school would fit me best. Portland is the greatest city, have fun!