Question for past/current Dukies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevster2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is DR. Singer's letter considered an [font=Verdana, Arial, Times New Roman, Helvetica]Health Professions Advisory Committee Letter? or is it just another rec

Members don't see this ad.

Kev,

I'm almost 100% sure it's a Health Professions Advisory Committee Letter letter.

kevster2001 said:
Is DR. Singer's letter considered an [font=Verdana, Arial, Times New Roman, Helvetica]Health Professions Advisory Committee Letter? or is it just another rec

yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
another question. So when I'm filling out applications. Should i just select committee letter and put down Dr. Singer's name or should I also add the names of all my recommenders as well?

if you are filling out the secondary. please tell me the character limit to the questions...pleaseeeeeeeee

another question. So when I'm filling out applications. Should i just select committee letter and put down Dr. Singer's name or should I also add the names of all my recommenders as well?

I'm still a junior, but to my understanding the HPAC forwards all of your letters and your committee letter. Thus, I think you should select committee letter and put down Dr. Singer's name, and then add the names of your other recommendors too.

only dr. singer's.

It gets confusing on what to put on some of those forms. I dont even think I consistently put it as a committee letter. The point is, I dont think it matters all that much. Although, Im pretty sure for most of them I put it as a committee letter and just listed all of my LOR people and Dean Singer.

I was almost a Dukie (blue)Devil...was yall's experience as awesome as it seemed it would be?

I would have gone but it cost too much $ and I did not get a scholarship there.

I was almost a Dukie (blue)Devil...was yall's experience as awesome as it seemed it would be?

ditto, ditto.

I love it here.

The scholarships that they purport to offer on merit are kind of bogus in that nearly every one who receives one would have received financial aid had they not been awarded a merit scholarship. Many of the very best students come from middle-upper class and upper class backgrounds and are not offered merit scholarships because the adcom knows that their families can pay. It seems pretty clear to me that the process of awarding the merit scholarships is flawed when only about 1/3-1/2 of merit scholars graduate with honors. You would think that out of the entire applicant pool, they could at least select a majority of students that would perform well academically. Sadly, I think the merit scholarships are just another way to massage the numbers and thereby influence the USNews ranking.

Certainly in my experience, merit scholarships get distributed to MANY of the wrong people, which is always frustrating. (Of COURSE they should have been given to me!)

The scholarships that they purport to offer on merit are kind of bogus in that nearly every one who receives one would have received financial aid had they not been awarded a merit scholarship. Many of the very best students come from middle-upper class and upper class backgrounds and are not offered merit scholarships because the adcom knows that their families can pay. It seems pretty clear to me that the process of awarding the merit scholarships is flawed when only about 1/3-1/2 of merit scholars graduate with honors. You would think that out of the entire applicant pool, they could at least select a majority of students that would perform well academically. Sadly, I think the merit scholarships are just another way to massage the numbers and thereby influence the USNews ranking.

Certainly in my experience, merit scholarships get distributed to MANY of the wrong people, which is always frustrating. (Of COURSE they should have been given to me!)

naturally.

getting in here is a crap shoot anyways. I was waitlisted and barely made it off but i dont think im any less qualified than the average dukie. i was so close to going to UW, i signed up for orientation and everything

^i can testify to that. contrary to kevster, i got in no problem and i feel dumb compared to many of the students here