Question for Pre-Meds

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ODduck, Apr 11, 2007.

1. ODduck

ODduck Future Oregon OD
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I have a friend who wants to go to med school. Isn't there kind of an unwritten rule about GPA's and MCAT's. Something about GPA x 10 + MCAT must equal a certain number...
    What is the number that most med schools cut off for that equation, if it even really exists. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ssquared

ssquared Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I think your "friend" is refering to the competive score. The idea is that you take your MCAT + (GPA x 10) and see the result.

If you break the 126 schools into five tiers of ~25 schools, the result for where you should apply regarding your competitive score is:

Competitive Score; Eligible Tier
    70–85; 1
    65–70; 2
    60–65; 3, 4
    55–60; 5

Anyone with below a 55 needs to rethink their application. This is just a general guide, though, certainly people with a competitive score of 70 get rejected everywhere and somebody with a 60 gets into a top 10.

4. ODduck

ODduck Future Oregon OD
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Thanks. It really is for a "friend". I assume you put the quotation marks around it assuming that I'm asking for myself. I'm going to Optometry school in August, so I promise it really is for a "friend" ;)

5. ssquared

ssquared Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Haha ok. I'm just playing. :p

I got the equation from The Not So Short Introduction to Getting into Medical School. You should be able to find it here on SDN somewhere.

6. variablistic

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know of one smaller state school which uses that equation plus a residency score to offer interviews...