Question for Pre-Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ODduck

Future Oregon OD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I have a friend who wants to go to med school. Isn't there kind of an unwritten rule about GPA's and MCAT's. Something about GPA x 10 + MCAT must equal a certain number...
What is the number that most med schools cut off for that equation, if it even really exists. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your "friend" is refering to the competive score. The idea is that you take your MCAT + (GPA x 10) and see the result.

If you break the 126 schools into five tiers of ~25 schools, the result for where you should apply regarding your competitive score is:

Competitive Score; Eligible Tier
70–85; 1
65–70; 2
60–65; 3, 4
55–60; 5

Anyone with below a 55 needs to rethink their application. This is just a general guide, though, certainly people with a competitive score of 70 get rejected everywhere and somebody with a 60 gets into a top 10.

Thanks. It really is for a "friend". I assume you put the quotation marks around it assuming that I'm asking for myself. I'm going to Optometry school in August, so I promise it really is for a "friend" ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. It really is for a "friend". I assume you put the quotation marks around it assuming that I'm asking for myself. I'm going to Optometry school in August, so I promise it really is for a "friend" ;)

Haha ok. I'm just playing. :p

what the hell are you serious ive never heard about that equation before :scared:

I got the equation from The Not So Short Introduction to Getting into Medical School. You should be able to find it here on SDN somewhere.

what the hell are you serious ive never heard about that equation before :scared:

I know of one smaller state school which uses that equation plus a residency score to offer interviews...