chessknt87

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
This is especially for the UCs--did you wait until junior spring grades were out and if so, what were the dates of transcript submission/AMCAS verification?

My school wont be getting Spring 08 grades in until June 23, factor in the 3-4 day mailing factor and the average 2-3 week verification process and that puts me at complete at the end of July when it is completely not my fault for being that late. I cant decide if I want to risk not receiving the first round of secondaries for spring grades or not and am wondering what people in similar situations did and how it affected them.

copingmethods

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I'm applying this year (on the quarter system), and I already sent my transcripts. I wouldn't wait unless they'll help you a lot. I know people who applied last year w/o Spring quarter grades who did incredibly at the UCs.

go lakers

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
CA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
i waited for spring grades of my Senior year actually. they helped me get over a threshold. i contacted the admissions office of the schools that i really wanted to go to and they told me to wait for my grades.

amcas submitted june 30th.
verified july 23rd.

just get your secondaries done in a timely fashion.

OP
C

chessknt87

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
Status
i waited for spring grades of my Senior year actually. they helped me get over a threshold. i contacted the admissions office of the schools that i really wanted to go to and they told me to wait for my grades.

verified july 23rd.

That seems to be the consensus of many adcom people, but the fact that it will take AMCAS another 2 weeks to verify my grades that cant even be SENT until 6/23 if really offputting. My GPA is very good and my grades wont matter to it at all. Do med schools get apps from AMCAS in early July or mid July?

silverlining1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
California
Status
Medical Student
My grades came out somewhere around June 23 as well. I waited to submit... I actually didn't submit until July 18, and I was verified August 6.

nick_carraway

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]

verified july 23rd.

This is key.

Submit your latest quarter grades if it helps you meet a new psychological GPA tier or if it highlights an upward trend.

However, more important than getting in your Spring grades is to make sure your secondaries can be complete ASAP!

I freaked out about having to wait for my final transcript, but I failed to realize that my committee letter would slow me down even more. I was verified 7/20 (submitted 7/1? Maybe?) but it didn't help that my secondaries weren't complete until late August/early September.

Have those LORs ready to submit and the time you've lost by being a quarter student will be made up at the secondary stage.

OP
C

chessknt87

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
Status
This is key.

Submit your latest quarter grades if it helps you meet a new psychological GPA tier or if it highlights an upward trend.

However, more important than getting in your Spring grades is to make sure your secondaries can be complete ASAP!

I freaked out about having to wait for my final transcript, but I failed to realize that my committee letter would slow me down even more. I was verified 7/20 (submitted 7/1? Maybe?) but it didn't help that my secondaries weren't complete until late August/early September.

Have those LORs ready to submit and the time you've lost by being a quarter student will be made up at the secondary stage.
I am working on old secondary prompts already and plan to refine/perfect them once the actual seocnary prompts are known. I am waiting on 2 LoRs, but I have strong assurances that they will be finished by mid June at the latest and my file will be complete. So I will be waiting solely on my transcript/AMCAS verification, which is why I dont know if I should even bother waiting since I have a 3.95 BCPM/3.91 AO that can move a max of +0.01 if I get a 4.0, which I probably will. I have as many units complete as a senior thanks to summer school, so idk what to do.

nick_carraway

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am working on old secondary prompts already and plan to refine/perfect them once the actual seocnary prompts are known. I am waiting on 2 LoRs, but I have strong assurances that they will be finished by mid June at the latest and my file will be complete. So I will be waiting solely on my transcript/AMCAS verification, which is why I dont know if I should even bother waiting since I have a 3.95 BCPM/3.91 AO that can move a max of +0.01 if I get a 4.0, which I probably will. I have as many units complete as a senior thanks to summer school, so idk what to do.
Don't bother waiting. 0.01 will make no difference and unless there was a significant difference in grades between this year and the past year when you include Spring, adcoms will get a perfectly clear idea of your academics without this recent quarter.

There's no reason to delay unless it benefits your app. In this case, it hardly does.

Just make sure that having all your LORs = the end. A committee interview for a committee letter may add weeks to the process. But you look like you're in good shape, regardless.

OP
C

chessknt87

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
Status
Don't bother waiting. 0.01 will make no difference and unless there was a significant difference in grades between this year and the past year when you include Spring, adcoms will get a perfectly clear idea of your academics without this recent quarter.

There's no reason to delay unless it benefits your app. In this case, it hardly does.

Just make sure that having all your LORs = the end. A committee interview for a committee letter may add weeks to the process. But you look like you're in good shape, regardless.
Well awesome UCI doesnt have a committee, just a half-assed bio advisor office full of pre-meds constantly, so no worries on that!

devilpup

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
CA
restlessmd.blogspot.com
Status
Attending Physician
My school wont be getting Spring 08 grades in until June 23, factor in the 3-4 day mailing factor and the average 2-3 week verification process and that puts me at complete at the end of July when it is completely not my fault for being that late.
Being complete by the end of July is not late at all. I was in the same boat as you at UCSD, but I submitted my primary application in early June. This way AMCAS would just have to wait for my grades to arrive (June 24). Once they received the transcript it took them less than two weeks to verify - this is quite fast compared to others who submit their primary application in late July.

Don't sweat it - the real fun part is filling all those nice expensive secondaries. oh, so fun; the memories

OP
C

chessknt87

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
Status
Being complete by the end of July is not late at all. I was in the same boat as you at UCSD, but I submitted my primary application in early June. This way AMCAS would just have to wait for my grades to arrive (June 24). Once they received the transcript it took them less than two weeks to verify - this is quite fast compared to others who submit their primary application in late July.

Don't sweat it - the real fun part is filling all those nice expensive secondaries. oh, so fun; the memories
So you got in on the first wave of secondaries/invites even though you werent complete until mid july?