question for resxn, the throat, and other attendings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I got notfied that our submitted paper was recently accepted, how important is it for me to make sure programs hear about it while they are reviewing my application and should I email programs that rejected me in the last couple of days asking them to re-consider and offer them this new information? I never had a publication in the past but I did report one submitted abstract and one project at works in my application.

Members don't see this ad.

If I got notfied that our paper was accepted for oral presentation during the Eastern Section Meeting in January. How important is it for me to make sure programs hear about it while they are reviewing my application and should I email programs that rejected me in the last couple of days asking them to re-consider and offer them this new information? I never had a publication in the past but I did report one submitted abstract and one project at works in my application.

Purely my perspective on this one, so take it with a grain of salt.

First, I think it would be futile to e-mail a program and say, "Hey, you may want to interview me now, because I have a paper that was accepted." Most programs didn't reject you for an interview because you lacked 1 paper (even if your prior CV listed zero). Thus, most wouldn't rearrange their schedule or somehow work you in because you now have 1 oral presentation. Unless that paper is entitled, "100% Complete Response to Novel Intra-arterial SCCa Receptor-Targeted Chemotherapy" or other major Nobel-worthy blockbuster like that. If that's the case, go for it.

I think it is worthwhile e-mailing the programs that have not yet notified you regarding your interview status. It will do 2 things. It will show them you are particularly interested in their program and it will enhance your application. It may not get you the interview but I can't imagine it would hurt at all.

I think it is important for you to work in your paper being accepted when at your interviews. Most people will ask about your research and that is when it is a great time to bring it up. I wouldn't seem overeager to throw it in there right away--then you sound too nervous/anxious. In other words, when you're asked "So I see in your file that you like to ski. Tell me about that." You shouldn't say, "Yeah, totally, skiing is great. It's almost as great as the paper I just had accepted. It's all about. . ." Usually you will find a way that you can sort of slip it in as an aside in a question if you aren't directly asked about it. Just use common sense and a little tact.